SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120g

A lot of swimming room.

I have a medium sized yellow tang in there right now (hides from the Tang Police).

Can I add a powder blue? or will they be at war?

b

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert on tangs, but it sounds like the right order at least to me (the PBT properly quarantined of course - you don't want to lose your tank to ich).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a good idea to get a PBT that's smaller than your Yellow as well. Might avoid the PBT quickly deciding it's boss?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have lots of rock, and has the tank been set up over a year? If the answer is Yes to both, then I say you should be fine.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO powder blues are very aggressive when it comes to "their territory" who cares if there's already an established Yellow... didn't you see the Shallow Seas or one of those other discovery HD shows on the reefs? like half a dozen powder blues tried to chase of hundreds of convicts!

I'm giving the thumbs down on this idea.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks.

The tank HAS NOT been setup for over a year.. \
The ROCK and things IN the NEW tank ARE over 4 years old.

It DOES have adequate rock

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":1h33496o said:
IMO powder blues are very aggressive when it comes to "their territory" who cares if there's already an established Yellow... didn't you see the Shallow Seas or one of those other discovery HD shows on the reefs? like half a dozen powder blues tried to chase of hundreds of convicts!

I'm giving the thumbs down on this idea.

Hmm. I've seen quite a few tanks with both species. I think the PBT will establish itself as boss, without much doubt, but the speed at which it does so might effect the YT's ability to hold its own.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think putting more than one aggressive tang in a tank that size will be a crap shoot. I know some people get away with it, but I think the probability is high that you'll have problems, if not initially, in the long run (or both).

Myself, I've always avoided PBTs altogether given what I have seen of their survival rate in captivity, but again, that's JMO.

I only have two tangs in my 6' long 180 - a Kole and a Mimic (both species are mild mannered as tangs go) and after two years of peace and harmony (and quite a bit of growth) they recently decided they don't like each other anymore and are now routinely beating the crap out of each other...

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't underestimate the YT. It'll hold its own. I'd get a PBT that's the same size or bigger, as a smaller one won't last long if the YT goes nuts upon introduction..

I just went through this dilemma twice this month, as my Black Tang is the resident king for now. I'll post what I did in my 110g thread.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":6k263p0y said:
120g

A lot of swimming room.

I have a medium sized yellow tang in there right now (hides from the Tang Police).

Can I add a powder blue? or will they be at war?

b

I don't know, I kept a kole tang in my 5 foot long 120 and there never seemed to be a lot of room for this very active fish. JMO, but I think sticking to one tang in this tank might be prudent. I've always been drawn to PBT's but never thought my tank was large enough, and having seen some good sized PBT's, and how active they are, only reinforced this. My 120 looked good with a bunch of small fish in it.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fish's well-being > any urge I may have to "test" various theories ahha.. I'll not bee getting a PBT.

I would like to add some more icthian residents though! (if ithian isn't a word.. it probably should be!).

Will anything get along with a YT?

Anthias get raped?

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: