Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an open top tank (without a cover) and put about 5 gallons of RO/DI water back into it a week to make up for the evaporated water with a litermeter III. Is this ok. Should I have a glass cover over it?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way - you don't have to worry about having a humidifier in your home...:wink:

(FWIW, I'm putting about 15 gallons a week of topoff in my 180)

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've NEVER had an open top tank :) 5g a week of top off isn't too bad :) The evap will help your temp stay under control!

Jimmy G

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been open top from the beginning(9 years now) In fact if it had a glass top it would run too hot. I evaporate about 2 gallons a day replaced with Kalk water with a Litermeter III also.

Only negative is you need to stay away from fish that are jumpers. Some I have had over the years are Wrasses,Blennies,Firefish etc.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To combat the fish issue, either use eggcrate over the top, which might not always stop jumpers or use a wooden hood over you tank and use velcro strips to attach vinyl window screening over the open area of the hood (back and top where ever your light fixture doesnt cover.)

Otherwise ya, you have to stay away from jumpers, which kinda stinks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an open back canopy and 1/2 open sump.

Replace 7-10 gallons a week in my 90g.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jimmy G":2kt17ed7 said:
My tank has been open top from the beginning(9 years now) In fact if it had a glass top it would run too hot. I evaporate about 2 gallons a day replaced with Kalk water with a Litermeter III also.

Only negative is you need to stay away from fish that are jumpers. Some I have had over the years are Wrasses,Blennies,Firefish etc.
Yeah, I found that out the hard way literaly. He was hard as a rock on the floor behind the tank. I really like the open top. It looks nice

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: