Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a bit of a problem, I think. When I add certain corals or zoanthids to my tank, their colors seem to dull after about 3 to 5 days. In other word, it's like someone poured cream into their color. It seems to loose its ("POP") color. They all are doing very well as far as growth and heath but just don't seem to have that same "deep color" that the stores and web pictures do. I have a colalife 48" light with 2x150 Metal Halides 10K and 2x98 blue actinic lights. Is this just a kelvin issue or is there something else causing this.?

For example; I added tubs blue zoas to my tank. They are a sky blue now! I have an acro (green bali slimer) it's green but not a deep green as it should be. My war coral is almost white and my clams certanly are not as colorful as they should be. Bright blue/purple goes to a maroon brown...

If you were to see my tank, you would be impressed at the health and growth but would walk away saying "it just doesn't have as much color as that other tank did".

What do you think could be causing this?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to give a good answer - many variables with coral coloration, and the same animal can look very different under different types of lighting. That said, lightening colors are sometimes an indication of over-illumination or very low nutrient levels. Conversely, loss/darkening of colors can be an indication of the opposite problems.

You may want to try moving stuff further down in the tank that is lightening up. Conversely, you might try moving very light demanding stuff like the clams higher up to see if the extra light helps them get their color back. If you suspect nutrient levels you can always trying feeding the fish a bit heavier to see if it has a positive effect on colors.

Personally, if the stuff is healthy/growing and not bleaching, I wouldn't worry too much... :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your fish stock level like? From what you said in the other thread about your jawfish, it sounds reasonably stocked for a 75g, enough for the tank to avoid being very nutrient poor.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find out what lights the store is running or from what tank they were in. Compare that to your system

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a line we all have to walk that a lot of people don't understand. I believe that on MANY corals a sign of heath is the darker brow zooalgae. I know that I have had serveral corals that would really brighten up righ before they would bite the dust. I know it isn't true in all cases, but it may be something to consider.

As far as the clams.. they WILL look brown if you're not looking down on them.

I also read an article from J. Sprung ( I think it was Sprung) that was about FLOW and the color of corals.

There are so many variables, its difficult to pinpoint exactly what the issue is.

As you say, the simple answer would be that you have either too low a K rating in your overall lighting system, or maybe your lamps need replacing.

Just make sure everything is healthy, you're doing your water changes, flow and lighting is adequate and give it time :)

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: