Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a sand sifting goby into the tank about 3 weeks ago. Recently I have noticed that all the zoas in the tank hav been closed up for days and not opening at all. Is this because of the sand that the goby is blowing around?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible, but likely they'd only stay closed if the sand was directly on top of them.

Has anything else in your tank changed, like flow, light, or other new additions?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pistol and regularly rearranges the sand and it hasn't seemed to bother the zoas I keep, I'd check the water values just in case.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JohnHenry":2pymz39w said:
It's possible, but likely they'd only stay closed if the sand was directly on top of them.

Has anything else in your tank changed, like flow, light, or other new additions?
Well, yes, I just moved the Vortech the other day. Also, I added a red slime killer to the water. Said it was reef safe though. Anyway, I really feel that it is the sand. This guy has my tank looking like I'm up in the clouds. Sand all over teh #$%^^ing place. Looks like micro bubles.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you FW dip the zoas before putting them in your tank? It's just possible that they have either zoa nudis or sundial snails on them. Though from what you say, given that they've closed up following the addition of the sand-sifting goby and a few other changes, it's more likely to be linked to those.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":36thmiad said:
JohnHenry":36thmiad said:

Well, yes, I just moved the Vortech the other day. Also, I added a red slime killer to the water. Said it was reef safe though. Anyway, I really feel that it is the sand. This guy has my tank looking like I'm up in the clouds. Sand all over teh #$%^^ing place. Looks like micro bubles.

That stuff is anantibiotic (usually, depends on brand) and can kill off good bacteria with the bad...just FYI.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you FW dip the zoas before putting them in your tank? It's just possible that they have either zoa nudis or sundial snails on them. Though from what you say, given that they've closed up following the addition of the sand-sifting goby and a few other changes, it's more likely to be linked to those.

I had a bout with zoa eatting nudis in my sons tank and didnt notice they were there untill some of the polyps stopped opening. They absorbed the color of the zoas too, kind of cool looking for a pest.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I understand that it could be these things but I highly doubt it. Thay have always been fine and look ok. There is sand all in the water column like clouds from this goby. I think that the sand is blowing on the zoas and disturbing them. I guess now it's time to get rid of the goby. What a trip this will be...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably all that crap trapped in the sandbed that's being released. Have you tested your water parameters?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: