hitmanhoos

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a little help here. I have limited metal halide experience. I've only had Icecap DE pendants with 250 w ballasts.

I'm upgrading to a larger tank and would like to try 400 watt SE MH on Lumenarc reflectors. What type of ballasts work best with mogul bulbs? eballasts, pulse start or probe start?

I'd like buy ballasts that give me the most flexibility since I don't know which bulbs I want yet.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing you need to decide is what kind of bulb you want to run. Do you have anything in mind?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice caps are very reliable, I plan on using them when I upgrade. If your tank upgrade is not adding a good amount of depth then I would just stick with the 250 watters or add another if the tank is longer.

hitmanhoos

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably get 20K Radium bulbs.

I moving from a 75 gal that is 20 inches tall to a 150 that is 29 inches tall. I know I need a third lamp because the new tank is 6 feet long, but would 250's penetrate 29 inches?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 250 radiums in LA minis and four actinic VHOs over my tank. It's a 140 cube (37x37x26). IMO, with good reflectors, there is no need to go to 400's for a 29" tank.

Radiums are pulse start bulbs (think double ended bulb with a mogul base) so you'll need either need a pulse start or an e-ballast. I agree with anemonebuff - Ice Cap is a great brand. Their e-ballasts would be the route I would take. They will also run probe start bulbs (the majority of mogul bulb options are this type) should you ever wish to switch. 3 MH's and you should be good for nearly anything. Adding VHO actinics will help add some pop.

Actually, my second ballast is a probe start so I can't run two Radiums at the moment. I'm running an SPS 20K instead until the day that I go to two radiums (I do plan on going to two). The SPS 20K is, IMO, a good bulb. The spectral output is VERY similar to a Radium but it definitely doesn't provide the same intensity.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hitmanhoos":30qjc6kx said:
I'll probably get 20K Radium bulbs.

I moving from a 75 gal that is 20 inches tall to a 150 that is 29 inches tall. I know I need a third lamp because the new tank is 6 feet long, but would 250's penetrate 29 inches?

Thanks
I would just add another 250 watter for the other two feet. If you are using the Ice Cap pendant the 250s should be fine, unless you plan on adding high light SPS at the bottom of the tank, then you may need 400's.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: