Bob5920

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start started with Mag @ 1270 & Alk @ 7 and wanted to bring it up to 1350 & 10 respectively but when I started dosing the levels dropped. My Ca is over 400 & my pH is at 8.2. I increased the concentration of my dosing and it dropped further. I'm using KH plus & Magnesium Komplex both are Zeovit. I have a 240 gal tank with a 50 gal sump. I had covers on my tank but just read that C02 build up could cause problems so I recently removed them

Is it normal to see a drop before a rise?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thoughts?

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How good are the test kits you are using?
I thought when it precipitated out you had the snow storm effect, or is that only with Ca?
I would look at the test kits you are using personally

camaroracer214

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those numbers aren't bad. alkalinity is perfect at 7. it's what is natural anyways. the mag is a tad on the low side, but not bad. i say leave it be.

plus, with the zeovit system, they pretty much require an alkalinity at 7 dKH.

Bob5920

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to follow a suggestion from an article out of the reefkeeping magazine. I dissolved baking soda and dripped it into the tank for a day The Alk got to 7.5 dKH.

I used a Salifert test kit to measure the Alk. My pH remains at about 8.0 with my Ca at 440. I'm going to let it stabilize for a week to see if this kick will balance it out.

I'm probably turned off of the 'proffessional' supplements for now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: