hmakem

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all... Looking for some thoughts and expertise...

I'm a little over a year into the hobby and enjoying it a lot. Despite a few problems here & there, my 90g tank is doing well. I've just finished cycling a new 240g tank. So far, the only resident is a young Maculosus Angel. Standing by are a Purple Tang--in a penalty-box holding tank, after terrorizing the 90g--and a small Freckled Hawkfish in a quarantine tank.

Questions for you all:

How close to capacity am I here?

Is there room for a Clown Trigger , or would it just destroy its tankmates? Would a Picasso work better? (I'd really prefer the Clown, if it's not a thoroughly stupid idea.)

In addition to the Clown, would a Lunare Wrasse fit the mix?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts...

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a clown to be honest, but from what I have read, they are not good with other fish, I think it would destroy its tankmates. If you read up on Albert Thiels web site, he has a lot of info on the clown that he kept to try and breed.
As for capacity, it really depends on your filtration system. I would say you are a long ways from capacity bio load wise if you have a good skimmer, fuge and bio filter. But then again a full sized clown is a big fish.....

Kim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clown trigger should withstand the attentions of a large angelfish quite well. :)

Mogo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a clown but my Picasso got along well with other fish that were bigger than him (they all were) as well as corals. Caution that they can be quite rowdy. My Picasso liked to gulp mouthfuls of sand and spew all over the corals and rock that had to be blown off regularly. Inverts (snails, crabs etc.) eventually became food.

My Lunare wrasse was a nightmare despite his great personality (he would eat out of my hand- actually he would eat my hand if he had bigger jaws). Anything that crawled was lunch very quickly. He never bothered corals but was very curious around new ones. He would occasionally harass smaller fish. Definitely not recommended if you have inverts and small fish. Upside is lots of energy and very entertaining. He was more intelligent than my dog. (Sorry that's not saying much).

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to find info on Albert Thiels clown trigger. When he had the web site (I don't think he runs it anymore to be honest), the articles were available for everybody to read. They were great. I think the name of the trigger was OPPS, but I'm not positive.

Kim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mogo, I wish I could tell you what an old timer I used to work for used to call Lunares. Just think of a male organ and "head". :lol:

Just remember, hmakem, if you go this route you're on your way to setting up a "large/aggressive" tank. If that's not what you want then you may want to consider a different species of trigger (Niger, maybe).

hmakem

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody... Everything I've found has made me think a more "moderate" choice like a Picasso might be a better bet--a species w/ some of that trigger attitude, but less likely to be extremely difficult. I think the clowns are amazing in appearance and behavior, and if I got the right clown, I guess I might be fine. But although I am looking for an aggressive tank, I think I'll play it a little safer here. (Only a LITTLE safer, I know) :wink:

Anyway, thanks again![/i][/b]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: