EVO

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! My pipe organ has grown out of control and has reached to the top of the water like a mushroom cloud. It's so big that it has got in the way of the water flow and collects lots of waste on the top and causes cyano bacteria to grow. I will be doing some rearranging in the tank this weekend and will probably break it up into smaller pieces. Any tips on doing this? Also, I' m Seattle, if you live near by and want some pipe organ for your reef gimme a shout! I will probably have plenty.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be pretty easy. I use a dremel on my LPS but I think with the structure of a pipe organ you may be able to snap it into chucks by hand or with a screw driver. Good Luck!

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to just wedge apart pieces with a plastic ruler. They snap apart very easily.

Do you have a pic? I want to see a giant mushroom pipe organ colony :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought that organ pipe never do well when you frag it due to all the interconnections among the polyps that make them suspectible to infection and disease.

LakerFan

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've honestly done this... but not for everyone..... Take the rock and smash it on the ground this should split up the colony into several pieces. Use a razor blade to cut off any connected polyps. All 5 pieces from my colony survived.

You can also take a chisel (if you don't have one already, but a cheap chisel set just for your tank) and hammer the pieces apart. It looks like a very healthy colony it can sustain the stress i was just explaining.

EVO

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay did it... a week ago, followed by entire tank cleaning (everything came out) this week. So here are some tips for someone doing this next time:

* DO NOT attempt to break the pipe organ in the tank. There will be a billion little red tubes in the bottom when you're done!

Wish you guys had told me this :0

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way - you have a novel new substrate that will no doubt we the next craze. :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: