Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, we've been down this road before. I just am so frustrated with this! :cry: I have stabalized everything in my tank. Everything is going great and looking healthy. Only problem is deep colors like purple and blue can't seem to hold their color. They turn brown with a hint of their blue/purple coloring. Takes about 1 week. I can;t think of what it could be. Here are a few things that are teasing my mind:

1. My RO/DI unit might not be cleaning the water as well as I would like it to be. It is relatively brand new. What happens to corals if they do not have 99.99% clean water? Could this result in a loss of color?

2. I have been using Lugio's solution. Very small doses, about 1 drop per week. Could I be having some ill effect on them with the iodine? Again, I have about 100 gallons of water with only 1 drop per week. I really don't think I am overdoing this, but maybe.

3. Wrong lighting. I have 10,000K with blue actinic suplimental lighting and am plannig on changing to 14,000K next week. I can't imagine that this is it either becasue they look good once they go into the tank under the light and then over a week in time it;s brownish!!! :cry:

What do you think? I need to solve this problem soon. It is really bothering me. I see an awsome colored coral, buy it and it loses all its color over about a week. :x

I am going to buy a meter that will test the ppm (quality of the RO/DI water) next week. Also, I will be putting 14k lights in next week.

Help me with this one, please!!!! What do you think? Have you heard or seen this problem before?

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you are overdosing Logio's solution at all. I have a 75g w/20g sump. I have been dosing 2 drops a day for the last couple months. I have been noticing a color improvement over the last month or so. I am currently using 2, 14k de pendants.
I don't know what corals you have, but are you feeding them with anything? Dt's, reef chili?
As far as the lighting, I had a 37g tank a few years ago with a 10k 250w de. The corals grew great but they all kinda got a pale brown color. I switched to a 20k bulb and the colors improved, but the growth rate slowed down.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do add a vitamin suplement to the water. Also I add phytoplakton once a week. I am feeling that it could be the RO/DI unit not performing efficiently as it should be... Just a thought though. I have also heard that 20k light slow growth. That;s why I am going with 14k.

This doesnt solve the problem though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us about the corals. Are they wild caught? Colonies? Frags? Some corals can shift more than others - and what Ben says!

Oooo its my Friday and I am a posting madman!

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question for you, how much total light do you have? Brown can also mean they are not getting enough light.

Kim

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben":2mqn8zo9 said:
Generally speaking when SPS go brown its nutrients. Are you running gac and gfo?
I'm sorry, I am not familiar with these abreviation (gac/gfo) would you mind explaining them to me?

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thales said:
Tell us about the corals. Are they wild caught? Colonies? Frags? Some corals can shift more than others - and what Ben says!

They are mostly frags. Some from my friend that has a well developed tank that bring them to me and some are from the LFS and some are from ORA. Yes, I have one colony.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kgross":3dx0k9f2 said:
Another question for you, how much total light do you have? Brown can also mean they are not getting enough light.

Kim

This is understandable but I think I'm okay in this department. I have a 75 gallon tank with a coralife lighting system. It has 2 x 150watt metal halides 10k and 2 x 98 blue actinic lights. It comes out to about 6.6watts per gallon.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":2ujlh2y6 said:
Ben":2ujlh2y6 said:
Generally speaking when SPS go brown its nutrients. Are you running gac and gfo?
I'm sorry, I am not familiar with these abreviation (gac/gfo) would you mind explaining them to me?

GAC-Granular Activated Carbon=Carbon
GFO-Granular Ferric Oxide=PO4 remover

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":1m0c7q3e said:
kgross":1m0c7q3e said:

Kim

This is understandable but I think I'm okay in this department. I have a 75 gallon tank with a coralife lighting system. It has 2 x 150watt metal halides 10k and 2 x 98 blue actinic lights. It comes out to about 6.6watts per gallon.

Your lighting is fine.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANEMONEBUFF":1n1flklz said:
Sea Turtle":1n1flklz said:
Ben":1n1flklz said:

Yes, I use GFO. I have a TLF Phosban reactor. No GAC.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think that it could be the RO/DI unit. In other words, quality of the water it is producing? What are symptoms of this?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're worried about the quality of water being produced by your RO/DI unit, you might be best getting a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter, which will give you a better idea what percentage of crap is being removed.

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":dmf9np6p said:
kgross":dmf9np6p said:

Kim

How deep into the tank are the sps corals that are browing. It could still be a lighting issue. 150 watt bulbs is not a lot for a 75 gallon tank.

Kim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there should be enough iodine in your fish's poop to keep all/any coral/polyp happy-there's usually enough in any salt mix to replenish what gets sucked up w/a 10-20% weekly/biweekly water change :P

i highly doubt that ANYONE has ever had an issue w/inverts of any kind that was strictly an iodine issue, with no other contributing factors ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":3djx9pd5 said:
Does anyone think that it could be the RO/DI unit. In other words, quality of the water it is producing? What are symptoms of this?

It could very well be the RO/DI. A TDS meter will tell you if your stuff needs changing. Over feeding will cause this as well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":2dh9huc7 said:
ANEMONEBUFF":2dh9huc7 said:
Sea Turtle":2dh9huc7 said:
Ben":2dh9huc7 said:

Yes, I use GFO. I have a TLF Phosban reactor. No GAC.

GAC is not required and GFO is great for lowering PO4 and silicates.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kgross":1acdiwgi said:
Sea Turtle":1acdiwgi said:
kgross":1acdiwgi said:

Kim

How deep into the tank are the sps corals that are browing. It could still be a lighting issue. 150 watt bulbs is not a lot for a 75 gallon tank.

Kim

2x150 watt DE bulbs are more than adequate for a 75 gallon tank.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":3sn2uiqx said:
If you're worried about the quality of water being produced by your RO/DI unit, you might be best getting a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter, which will give you a better idea what percentage of crap is being removed.

I'm going to get one of these and set it up next week sometime. I really don't hope that this is the problem because my unit is very new and that could mean it's not working correctly. Although, it would be nice to find out what the problem is.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: