dadstank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it appears my foxface has developed a bit of gingivitis.

it started two days ago with what appeared to be a cold sore on its outer lip. last night it looked like there was a swelling of his upper lip, but it could've just been the funky shape of the rabbitfish. today, his upper lip is swollen and he can't eat. i just watched for long while just now and he has turned black. he went from bouncing off the glass to laying on the sand. not just anywhere on the sand, but right up front. he never ever does that. sometimes i'll catch him scratching himself on the white star polyps, but the moment you walk remotely near the tank, he bolts. but tonight, he couldn't have cared less if i was in the tank right next to him...

i am really afraid that he will be doing even worse tomrw and rather than break down the rock scape to find him, i just pulled him out and put him in the sump.....

and he didn't swim away from the net either... just sat there and watched the whole thing happen......

i am really concerned... i really like this fish!
:cry:

---i just thought, is it possible there is a crab or some kind of hitchhiker that could've bit him and cause this injury? if you look at the mouth the right way, it looks like the skin is beginning to peel away off the lower lip....

dadstank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that he is in the sump, he is lifelessly floating... he swims down, then floats back up....

i don't have much hope for morning....

however, now that he is in this state - it appears as though the upper part of his mouth has deteriorated. he can no longer open and close his mouth due to what looks like a major inflammation of the inner mouth. i just looked up stock photos and i can see what he used to look like....

should the inevitable have happened when i wake, i'll take some photos....

dadstank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well he is still alive. he is hiding out between the skimmer and the pump...
(they are not turned on)

his mouth looks the same to me, and he looks peev'd!

i don't know what to do.... leave him in the sump and watch him, or put him back and hope for the best.........

any thoughts out there?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eek. Sorry to hear that. It could be an infection or a cyst. If it's the latter, sometimes they go away on their own. If it's the former, you might want to remove him into a hospital tank and administer antibiotics.

Does your sump have lights? I can't imagine keeping it in pitch dark is good for extended periods of time.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that :( It could have been an infection, an allergic reaction, or something like cancer :(

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: