DaFrog

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a yellow tang in my 75 gallons tank last night and my bicolor angelfish (half the size) keeps chasing him - tang's dorsal fin has a tear now - Should I give the tang to the LFS I got him from and just wait - Note: I rearranged some of thh rocks, fed everybody trying to avoid such a situation, but to no avail.

Thxs

-nicolas

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really no expert on fish but I thought that the angel was generally peaceful. Maybe he is just being a little teritorial seing that his space has been intruded upon. He might get over it and except him over the next week. I have all reef freindly fish in my tank and everytime I add a new fish in there are always one or two that give him a hard time for a few days. They all get over it and except the fish eventually. Now, this might not be the case in your tank though. Might be worth it to give him a few more days though. All the moving and stress could kill it anyway...

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, angels are pretty territorial towards newcomers. Give them a few more days together. If the Bicolor Angel doesn't stop picking on the tang, take the tang back. Odds are that it will calm down though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Mike. I have found that marine fishes, for the most part, are FAR too intelligent to fall for the old "Let's just rearrange his room and fool him!" trick. In fact, I've never had one fall for that trick, they have to be removed, two week time-out was the minimum that worked, once. Basically, you could put the angel into a QT (or your sump if you have it set up that way), physically separate them, allow the tang time to establish a territory and get its sea-legs. Then, reintroduce the angel and, if it's been given sufficient time to "feel" as though it's a newcomer again, should mind its P's & Q's a little better.

However, I caution a bit against this instead in favor of giving them more time, because I have never seen a territorial angelfish do what a territorial tang can do. It is not a pretty sight.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels are very territorial. Move some rocks around and it will create new "territory".

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen a case in where an angel fish was ok in a reef tank environment (sps, lps, clams, inverts, etc)? I really want one bad but know what could happen. Are there types that will work?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Coral Beauty that ignores the inverts.

009gd8.jpg

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANEMONEBUFF":34fnquwk said:

Those are nice too. I wouldn't mind putting one of those in the tank. Do you have hard corals or clams?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the orange monti in the pic. You can also see the 2 clams, 1 maxima and 1 crocea. The crocea is closed in the pic. I have a bubble coral, two favia brains, a green monti, and a turbinaria cup coral.

The CB eats mysis, blood worms, plankton, and dried seaweed. She fought with the Kole Tang a bit at first, but they share food together now.

Flame angels are nice but are more prone to nip at clams. Potter's angels are beautiful, but I hear that many have a tough time getting them to eat. The Lemon Peels are nice, but I do not know much about them.

Stay away from large angels they are not reef safe.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANEMONEBUFF":2deubueo said:
Angels are very territorial. Move some rocks around and it will create new "territory".
He already did this and it didn't work. I've never had a case where a simple moving around of the rocks did work, not with a marine angel (pygmy or otherwise). Tangs are also very territorial, and I think that as long as this one is sized well against the angel it'll ultimately do alright. :)

Turt, all angels are prone to nipping at corals, at everything really. It's not set in stone that they will or won't go at a given organism. I'd stick with Centropyge genus if you're seriously considering it. Lemonpeels are fairly hardy in my experience.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":1pl4q65p said:
ANEMONEBUFF":1pl4q65p said:
He already did this and it didn't work.

Oops missed that some how. :oops:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine fought for a few days, had some freyed fins, but now they pick at the seaweed together.

DaFrog

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are now fine, and to my surprise, the tang fins are nearly back to normal in less than 48 hrs after the last fight... Very speedy recovery

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":9hhcxhzw said:
ANEMONEBUFF":9hhcxhzw said:

Those are nice too. I wouldn't mind putting one of those in the tank. Do you have hard corals or clams?
look at the pic again- theres a hard coral to the right and two clams beneath the angel...

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
budhaboy":37rpup4d said:
Sea Turtle":37rpup4d said:
ANEMONEBUFF":37rpup4d said:

look at the pic again- theres a hard coral to the right and two clams beneath the angel...
I ahhh, ummm, ahhh.... Hmmmmm. :?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: