camaroracer214

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey RDO, I recently had the great pleasure of doing an email interview with the Eric Borneman. The interview starts out with some basic info on Mr. Borneman himself, then moves right into a brief interview, which despite its brevity, was quite insightful. So, go check it out.

Eric Borneman Interview

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too shabby, however I don't know if it's just me, but is he associated with any sort of research institution? (Outside of his own). I was a little disturbed that the first thing he mentioned as to where he got his corals was from FWS seizures.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":3sd0mtq2 said:
Not too shabby, however I don't know if it's just me, but is he associated with any sort of research institution? (Outside of his own). I was a little disturbed that the first thing he mentioned as to where he got his corals was from FWS seizures.
Not sure why you find it disturbing, that's where the Long Beach Aquarium gets many of its specimens. I believe he was with a uni in Texas, but I just can't remember right now.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":2dqjtk5l said:
sfsuphysics":2dqjtk5l said:
Not sure why you find it disturbing, that's where the Long Beach Aquarium gets many of its specimens. I believe he was with a uni in Texas, but I just can't remember right now.

Houston, right? I'm not sure why the gets Mikes goat either. What else are they going to do with them, send them back? The fact of the matter is it's not an uncommon thing (people getting caught with "smuggled" coral or fish)

Edit - third paragragh :lol:

Eric currently lives in the Houston area and is working on getting his PhD from the University of Houston in the Department of Biology and Biochemistry.

Yah, Houston :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've gotta say it "YOO-stuhn". :D

I must admit, I was amazed at how many people try to bring stuff inside their suitcases. When I was at LBAOP they were getting, direct from FWS, baby tridacnids, Catalina gobies (huh?)(yep), corals, just all kinds of stuff.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raskal311":2jibwmqr said:
The Wikiki Aquarium gets all of there corals this way.

partially true. They get some that way but others they collected themselves over the years (just caught Charles Delbeek's talk on this a month or two ago)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chris&barb":31bjsq02 said:
I thought he got them from some Naval station in Florida :mrgreen:

All corals come Los Angeles though :lol: (or so numerous dealers have said as such when asked where a certain coral came from :lol: )

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I realize that many aquarium institutions get them this way, I wasn't questioning that practice, what I was a tad worried was the way it was worded it made it sound like he was getting them for his personal collection as opposed to them being given to a research institution (like a public aquarium).

If Delbeck took some specimens home for his personal aquarium of stuff that was donated to Waikiki then I'd be equally uncomfortable with that fact. When I was in grad school I know I sure as hell didn't get to take home any meteorites that were donated :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't he caught with his hand in the cookie jar a while back? It had something to do with illegal coral collection or something but the RDO search engine sucks and I'm to lazy to Google.

Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's what Chris&barb is alluding to. But it's not what I was implying nor referring to.

chris&barb

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":1ziku9be said:
I think that's what Chris&barb is alluding to. But it's not what I was implying nor referring to.

I know nothing!

hogans_heroes_schultz_small.jpg

I just had to post that photo otherwise it would have been an "opportunity lost"

google is your friend :wink:

camaroracer214

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little blog update...

i have two more interviews coming up...bob fenner and anthony calfo. should be interesting to say the least.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
camaroracer214":1w1ue6zt said:
a little blog update...

i have two more interviews coming up...bob fenner and anthony calfo. should be interesting to say the least.
Tell Bob Marina says hello, and her surname has changed. Be ready for Bob, too. I suggest a tape recorder or you might miss something.

Raskal311

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":23xdo4lt said:
chris&barb":23xdo4lt said:
I thought he got them from some Naval station in Florida :mrgreen:

All corals come Los Angeles though :lol: (or so numerous dealers have said as such when asked where a certain coral came from :lol: )

collect locally?

camaroracer214

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
davidmohr":mt75pwyz said:
Wasn't he caught with his hand in the cookie jar a while back? It had something to do with illegal coral collection or something but the RDO search engine sucks and I'm to lazy to Google.

Regards,
David Mohr
i heard something like that. but i forget the details. something involving eric and i believe reefsavers (i'm actually related to the wife of the owner). i know he ended up giving everything back. it was made out to be a worse situation than it really was.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
camaroracer214":6inm15wu said:
a little blog update...

:( :?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: