A

Anonymous

depends upon the acan.

I have heard different species will, and have witnesses echinata obliterating lordhowensis, however I have an echinata and subechinata overlapping one another and there's no tell tale signs of deadness (which there would be).

Also I do have two different lords touching without any adverse issues as well.

However other than those 3 species I don't have any other species of acans.

A

Anonymous

I had two colonies close to each other in my old tank, but they looked like different color morphs of the same species, which might have had an influence.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like said it depends on the spieces, echinatas will sting lords and kill them fast. But lords can touch lords...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, good. It sounds like they can pretty much be placed side by side.

I've lost a few acans lately and wanted rule that out as a possibility.

I think the real reason for the deaths is shipping during the winter months. The acans were probably already compromised when I got them.

The only other suspect would be the fish. I have a rabbitfish and a sailfin blenny that could be nipping. But if that were the case, you'd think they'd nip them all, not just some. I have seen a bit of nipping, but I think they are just nipping the edges for algae.

Louey

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what Ive heard if they die and have a pink skeleton left its a bacterial infection that has been attacking these acans coming in. My LFS guy told me his distributor will get one in his tank with this type of infection and it can spread to his whole group of acans in that same system. This can cause them all to be infected and die off over several months, after they have been sold to the dealer and onto the aquarist. He told me how to treat this too but I cant remember the dip he mentioned, it wasnt anything standard...some chemical. Usually if you see them receeding back and leaving this color on the dead skeleton you need to frag back a few polyps deep to prevent it killing the whole colony, or get it treated.

SlipperMan

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing my suppliers stock tanks.....

Doubt it. Acan colonies were touching and there were no signs of stinging. They had been together for a couple weeks too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but remember calling them "acans" is about as specific as saying acropora can touch each other without any stinging.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: