A

Anonymous

I want to degas the CO2 from my tap water before it goes into my DI unit. Any suggestions on a pump to do this? My searches are coming up useless.
:D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those booster pumps because my tap is at 40psi and I was getting horrendous output from my RO unit.

Len's product is for air only, if you put water through that media it basically becomes useless, I think that particular setup is the one that claims to remove CO2 from the ambient air for the skimmer (I'm sure it says that right on the page, but I just quickly looked at the picture)

The problem with moving it to a container, an aerating it then moving it is that you basically have no pressure at that point (or very little), I'm not sure how those booster pumps work when there's nothing to move it. IIRC you have a DI only setup, so you may not even need much pressure at all to make water, I'd shoot off an email to a number of the "water" places that sells the RO/DI kits and see what they have to say about that. Because if that's the case you could get as simple as having a pump in your aeration bucket then use that to push it through your DI resin.

WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldnt a valve in front of the DI work, it will slow the pressure/flow rate down to achieve what you want?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive the ignorance, but why would you need to degas the water? Do you live in such a posh neighborhood that you get Perrier on tap?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering what pump people are using to deliver the water after degassing to the DI unit. I think the on demand delivery pump I linked above is the right thing - other wise, the pump is on all the time.

Tom - CO2 in the water uses up DI quickly. You can extend the life of DI resin up to 3x apparently if you get rid of the CO2 by running an airstone in the water before it goes into the DI unit. So I guess I am really talking about degassing and regassing. :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thales":2c8sa9xs said:
I am wondering what pump people are using to deliver the water after degassing to the DI unit. I think the on demand delivery pump I linked above is the right thing - other wise, the pump is on all the time.

Tom - CO2 in the water uses up DI quickly. You can extend the life of DI resin up to 3x apparently if you get rid of the CO2 by running an airstone in the water before it goes into the DI unit. So I guess I am really talking about degassing and regassing. :D

Any links or sources to that idea?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a silly question, but have you check the pH of your water to start with? Maybe your water doesn't have gas :D

According to that link though seems my initial thought was right, you don't need any sort of pressurized pump, to move water through your DI chamber.

If you do like the picture and have a tall piece of PVC to hold your pre-DI'd water you can have the that fed by a hose with a solenoid on it, that way its not deionized its still tap water, so if there are metals in the solenoid valve no big deal. Have your PVC holding chamber with a pipe high up the output going to your DI resin, then to your water holding vessel. Throw a float switch on that water holding vessel, connected to the solenoid so when it gets full, it stops putting water in the PVC pipe, so it stops gravity feeding to your DI and you don't get a flood. This way you can remove the need for a pump all together. Simple, no? :)

Also I wonder if somehow hooking up an aerator like on a faucet would have similar results to a pump.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple yes, but won't work in my case. :D The DI needs to get to 4 locations (reef ATO, Breeding ATO, New Water Mixing, and just DI) around the house, three of which have their own float valve).

So, I'm thinking float valve on the tank of tapwater, on demand delivery pump and I am all done. I haven't check the pH of the tapwater and I will, but I can't help but believe that sitting in pipes all day is good for aeration.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok, I thought you had a reservoir of DI water and that got shunted around to the multiple tanks.

Now I'm back in the confused category though, because I can't wrap my mind around how float valves will tell the pump when to turn on to move water around the house.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Degasser is expensive, and used in lab setting. I don't think it is justified to use in this hobby due to the cost and energy consumption. Alternatively, you can get a large container and let the CO2 degas "naturally" with an airstone, and use a pressure pump (for water, like those used in RV and trailer that goes up to 100 psi) to pump the water thru the RO and DI. If the water is RO already, you can use a cheaper pump to push the water thru the DI, which only take a few psi, or just use gravity.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: