A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not seen them, although the whole "Chinese" part I have to admit, a of prejudice, does scare me a bit.

e-ballasts can get quite hot too though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're anything like the Lumatek electronic ballasts, then they'll have good points and bad points. Lumateks cannot drive all bulbs, may burn some out very quickly or blow them altogether. My own jury is still out on e-ballasts altogether, right now I'm sticking with the tried-and-true magnetic coil ballast.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any idea what bulbs Lumatek can't drive? I have this ballast but wasn't aware they didn't work with certain bulbs. Lumatek and Galaxy ballasts are right now top dogs in the e-ballast world.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":3gyf2vf9 said:
Do you have any idea what bulbs Lumatek can't drive? I have this ballast but wasn't aware they didn't work with certain bulbs. Lumatek and Galaxy ballasts are right now top dogs in the e-ballast world.
I cannot remember off the top of my head, I think it's a specific make (Hortilux?). The switchable, dimmable ballast thing is awfully inviting, though, isn't it? I don't have to worry about noise in my own application, but if it were up in the house I know I wouldn't want the buzz or extra (summertime) heat of a mag-coil ballast in the house. And the thing is that the 'bad luck' seems to go in spurts, with some folks who get a ballast that keeps burning out their lights, get it replaced multiple times to still experience the trouble. Others can't sing its praises loud enough, used for years with no troubles. I find myself wondering if perhaps electricity source or inside wiring might not have something to do with it. That, or the angle of the earth.

Or, perhaps Lumatek has reworked their ballasts to resolve some of those problems.

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy I'm really tempted to try these - $265 to my door for 2x 250w and 1 400w unit.

The huge problem is reliability. If one breaks GOOD LUCK getting customer service... :-(

Cheers
James

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jamesw":37j1dvg0 said:
Boy I'm really tempted to try these - $265 to my door for 2x 250w and 1 400w unit.

The huge problem is reliability. If one breaks GOOD LUCK getting customer service... :-(

Cheers
James
That is a darned good price. I'd be tempted, too.

Ballasts are fairly simple electronic devices, so if you have any electrical experience, you might be able to repair it yourself, or find someone local to do it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JohnHenry":tq0g74qf said:
jamesw":tq0g74qf said:

Cheers
James
That is a darned good price. I'd be tempted, too.

Ballasts are fairly simple electronic devices, so if you have any electrical experience, you might be able to repair it yourself, or find someone local to do it.
I don't know about that. electronic ballast are pretty complicated, and I don't think there are many people out there with the experience to repair it, and definitely not something that most engineer can deal with unless they are specially trained in high current applications.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that price, just get a spare for when one does go on the fritz.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: