Twin_II

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a rose anemone for 9+ years, over the last year it has becoming increasing smaller and I am concerned that I am going to lose it. For a bit of extra history on it was home to a pair of clown fish for the first 4 years when the male clown died (summer heat and the chiller failed :( ) but the female natured the anemone for an additional 2 years when she died (got caught under a rock :cry: ). The anemone went clownless for 2 years and seemed to hold size and color steady. Over the last year it has become smaller and has lost most of its green coloring, I thought that it may not be getting enough food (without a clown feeding it) that I bought a new clown the beginning of Nov. ’08, however it is still shrinking. Tank has 1 Maron clown, 1 Flame Angle, and 1 Cleaner Shrimp, several scarlet hermits, its is 75gal with 100lb LR, 50LB LS, temp is steady at 25C, water quality: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates <10, salinity 1.022, skimmer, canister filter, (4) 96watt 10000k, and chiller.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Sarah

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everything else in the tank doing?

Your Specific gravity is a little low for inverts. NSW is normally considered to be close to 1.0264, but that should not cause much of a problem. But then again, how are you measureing temp and salinity?

How old are you light bulbs?

What is Calcium alk and Magnsium in the tank?

Kim

Twin_II

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything else in the tank is thriving and doing very well; I fogot to mention I also have mushrooms in the take which are duplicateing like weeds.

I measure salinity with a Deep Six Hydrometer and tempature though my chiller.

My bulbs are ready to be replaced, they are not quite a year old.

I haven't the other measure tested.

Thank you for your reply,
Sarah

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have your LFS check the salinity of your tank. Swing arm hydrometers are not known for being accurate, so you could have your salinity to low for the anemone.

Kim

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say your mushrooms are reproducing rapidly, more than usual? That would lead me to think either your lighting isnt that strong. Mine went nuts when my bulbs got old.

Twin_II

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help!

The mushrooms didn't seem to be producing any more then usual, just that they hadn't stopped :)

I have received my new bulbs and my rose seems to be preking up. I also started to feed it manually by using a small bottle that I put food in and letting it fall out into it's bulbs where it then pushed it quickly into it mouth. Seems my other Clowns took very good care of her, and this new clown doesn't quit get her side of the relation ship (protection and food).

Thanks much!
Sarah

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: