misael

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 snails for several years that I believe to be whelks. I've never seen them harm anything in the tank, although they'll quickly locate and eat any dead tank-mates (infrequently) and any food I put in the tank (especially non-flake food).

A few days ago, I found a new little snail that also looks like a whelk, but this one has a darker shell with white markings. The shell is about 1/3 of an inch long. I saw this one around the base of a zoa colony, some of which looked a bit damaged. When I performed a water change today, I was lucky enough to locate it and pull it out. Incredibly, I found another one that was only a few millimeters long in the siphoned out water. I now have these two separated out, but I'm not sure what to do with them.

I could put them in my sump, but I'm not sure if they'll make their way back up. Since I already found two, I wouldn't be surprised to find more. I'm not even 100% sure they're bad, since I have other similar snails that I'm quite sure are safe. Has anybody kept snails in their thanks that look like the more colorful one below?

Thanks,

- Misael

Attachments

• whelk2.JPG
    whelk2.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 130
  • whelk1.JPG
    whelk1.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 130

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: