A

Anonymous

It's a learning curve, Turt, and I think it's safe to say we have all had to experience some things on our own at least once.

I hope your house doesn't stink too much. Oh, and you think dead starfish stinks? You've never done dead turtle. :shock: :lol:

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOme of these sensitive inverts are doomed from the get go. They have been through so many tanks by the time they get to yours and not every LFS cares to acclimate properly. Atleast you gave it a go with saving it! I tryed a linka years ago and had the same issue and never tried again.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I had a Linckia (purple) that lived until the tank was torn down (don't know what happened to it after that). One of the big things I learned with them is they don't "like" being out of the water, so bagging underwater became my standard. I have no idea if there's any validity to the method as far as handling/survival goes, but I felt it was one less stressor.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess purchasing them can be very difficult. If you but them on line mail order there's no telling what they did to it before shipping and if you get it from lfs who knows if it shipped well to them. Plus, I guess you could wait to see if it does okay in the store and then buy it, but chances are somone will have already scooped it up. Maybe I could purchase it, have them hold it for couple of weeks before taking it. :D

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job for trying to save it!! :) Alot of the stars are poor shippers because they are not tolerant of the changes in temp., ph, specific grav. and being out of the water.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my lfs over the weekend and they had a tank with 4 blue linckia's and for the hour I was there not a single one even moved a tiny bit. They were all slumped over the rocks looking like they were ready to just melt away, made me think of yours. Somethings are just doomed from the start.

Maybe I could purchase it, have them hold it for couple of weeks before taking it.

If your LFS would let you buy it and then keep it for you for a few weeks that would probably be a good stratagy

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben":3qcaa5oc said:
I was at my lfs over the weekend and they had a tank with 4 blue linckia's and for the hour I was there not a single one even moved a tiny bit. They were all slumped over the rocks looking like they were ready to just melt away, made me think of yours. Somethings are just doomed from the start.

Maybe I could purchase it, have them hold it for couple of weeks before taking it.

If your LFS would let you buy it and then keep it for you for a few weeks that would probably be a good stratagy
They really should be left in the wild if their that hard to keep. It's really sad.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: