A

Anonymous

Ugh. Had a snail get stuck in my Durso drain pipe which effectively dried out my sump and limited my return flow. Now that I got the bugger out (which was mighty tough), I've got a cyano bloom! I had this once before 5 years ago which ultimately required red slime remover. Big water change tomorrow, but I've got a low threshold to use that red slime remover again.

Seems like anything weird that can go wrong in this hobby will eventually occur to most of us. :roll:

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I've always been able to deal with cyano by one or a combination of the following:
1. Water changes, siphoning out what I can.
2. Raising pH to 8.5 via slow kalkwasser drips
3. Changing light bulbs.
4. Increasing O2 levels (can be done with increased skimming, more flow, CO2 scrubbers on your skimmer intake).
5. 48 hour dark period ... but this is my least favorite method and the cyano usually comes back.

fishinchick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest NOT using red slime remover. I've seen a lot of problems happen with it and it just covers up the real problem. Do what Len says. Maybe I read it wrong but I sorta fail to see how a single dead snail could cause cyano ...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fishinchick":385asy5f said:
I suggest NOT using red slime remover. I've seen a lot of problems happen with it and it just covers up the real problem. Do what Len says. Maybe I read it wrong but I sorta fail to see how a single dead snail could cause cyano ...

I think the flow in my tank is marginal at best. The snail shell was probably in my Durso for a few days restricting my return. I didn't have a flood, but my tank was not circulating correctly. I haven't used the red slime remover yet. The tank is looking much better after a few water changes and restoration of my flow.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you kill your lights for a few days the red slime will die off. With the changes you made to the durso the slime will probably stay away.

my .02

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: