• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

This is something I am having a hard time understanding.

Can someone explain what proper flow in a reef tank is for LPS type corals?

Also, I have a Biocube 29. I have a maxijet 1200 for the return, a minijet 800 behind the rocks and a Korilla 1 aimed down across the rocks. Still battling cyano but trying to get the flow so it can't accumulate. The sand is covered as well. How do you get good flow without blasting all the corals off of the rocks?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a prop mod for the maxijet. Prop pumps add a lot of flow (1000s of gph) but at much lower speeds then regular pressure pumps. This is the ideal flow type.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":3hqhfhv3 said:
Try a prop mod for the maxijet. Prop pumps add a lot of flow (1000s of gph) but at much lower speeds then regular pressure pumps. This is the ideal flow type.

Is there a website that details this mod, Len?

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about the MP10 but I dont want to blast the corals and even flowing from one side is still resulting in allot of dead spots. (Unless you add 10 of them).

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get the nice pumps like the MP10 to pulse, creating a back and forth wave in your tank. That's one advantage of computer controlled prop pumps.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to consider is that cyano requires more than just "lack of flow" in order to thrive, so something else in your tank is helping it stay going.

Nutrients: Make sure to keep the nutrient levels of your tank down, don't over feed, or if you do over feed be more aggressive with your water changes, making sure the water you're mixing salt up with to do water changes is as pure as can be from the get go (RO/DI). When you do water changes make sure you us a siphon to suck as much cyano out as possible. Detritus stuck in holes of your rockwork could also be to blame.

Lighting: What sort of lighting are you running? Steer towards a bluer bulb can often have results that make cyano disappear.

Flow: More flow is good, and you'd be surprised to how much flow corals can take. Try make it work such that it deflects off the glass rather than blowing directly onto the corals if you're worried too much about your corals blowing away. Even though I hate X per Y rules of thumb, I would probably shoot for at least 30 times your tank volume in flow per hour. So you're looking to around 900 gph worth of pumps at a minimum. I'd throw another K1 in there and probably would go with something even larger (space permitting of course)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those MP10's look pretty cool.

I might get one for my 28G.

I am fighting a bit of cyno too. But I agree with Mike. It's not just the flow. I have been uping the WC's and changing/running carbon more often. It seems to be putting a dent it in.

The toothbush seems to be the most effective method of removing it. I brush the hell out of the rock just before doing a WC, and siphon/net out as much as possible.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":wgav7h13 said:
Another thing to consider is that cyano requires more than just "lack of flow" in order to thrive, so something else in your tank is helping it stay going.

Nutrients: Make sure to keep the nutrient levels of your tank down, don't over feed, or if you do over feed be more aggressive with your water changes, making sure the water you're mixing salt up with to do water changes is as pure as can be from the get go (RO/DI). When you do water changes make sure you us a siphon to suck as much cyano out as possible. Detritus stuck in holes of your rockwork could also be to blame.

Lighting: What sort of lighting are you running? Steer towards a bluer bulb can often have results that make cyano disappear.

Flow: More flow is good, and you'd be surprised to how much flow corals can take. Try make it work such that it deflects off the glass rather than blowing directly onto the corals if you're worried too much about your corals blowing away. Even though I hate X per Y rules of thumb, I would probably shoot for at least 30 times your tank volume in flow per hour. So you're looking to around 900 gph worth of pumps at a minimum. I'd throw another K1 in there and probably would go with something even larger (space permitting of course)

I blast the LR weekly and there is build up from time to time (another reason for more flow)
Feeding is light - pinky nail size Rod's food every other day.
Weekly 5G water changes
RO/DI - 0 TDS

4 x 36W PC's (Swapped them a few weeks back but cyano was there long before). 2 Actinic, 1 50/50 and 1 10K.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: