dadstank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might sound like a dumb question, but is a fresh water dip an actual "dip" or more like a short "bath"?
--if its a "bath" how long can things like mushrooms, button polyps, star polyps, leathers, etc. be in it would damage?
(taking into account they are not freshwater animals :) )

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here, both involve submersion in the water. It's the length of time of submersion that is at issue for any given organism. I've only dipped vertebrate fishes so cannot answer about these inverts, but I would guess that no more than a minute or so would be the goal. Properly temped and, more importantly, pH adjusted.

dadstank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ph adjusted huh...
what does one need to adjust the Ph of fresh water?
never would have thought about that...

i was thinking to do a dip right after i dose with eXit.
a double whammy....

i guess what i am getting at, was how long can something that lives in SW be submerged in FW without damage.... i usually think of my soft corals as sponges..... so i wouldn't want them in to long to soak up the FW, ya know?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is the FIRST thing you need to be concerned with, you can use any one of the available products on the market to make the adjustments, but remember about that bounce--you don't want any organisms in the water if the pH shifts.

Temperature is another one, definitely don't want to drop them into water that's much colder than what they've come from. Dropping into slightly warmer water usually isn't that big a deal.

Like I said, I've only dipped fishes before, and each species is different. The goal was to get all parasite loads dropped, so I would keep them in the FW until they skewed. Can't quite make that assessment with inverts, I expect they'd react to the FW pretty quickly, so for me, I'd start with one minute and work up or down from there. If you're doing inverts, though, what about something like Lugol's?

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done leathers for a few minutes with no problems, I was using it to kill off bacterial infections and it seemed to work for me. IDK about the other softies you are asking about.

Don't FW dip any SPS.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've killed flatworms off a big plate coral with no issues.. i guess i was just ignorant though.. i just used RODI water...

had no adverse affects.

was only like 5 seconds.

SlipperMan

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dipped zoanthids for 15 minutes (that one was on accident!) and they lived. Just took a while to open up.

My normal dip is about 3-5 minutes for them with Lugols.

Everything else gets a ReVive dip in SW.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using FW Exit don't bother with the extra stress, you won't need it. Try to siphon as many as you can b4 the treatment. Remember good skimming and good amount of GC and water for WC in hand.

If you do, tops a couple of minutes (~2-3) is what I would risk.

dadstank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all went off without a hitch...
just used standard RO water.
i managed to soak a few rocks for quite some time....
oops :roll:
but hey, that water gets reaaaaaaly dirty!
also by the time i was done the salinity in the "fresh water dip" was pretty darn close to the tank....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: