A

Anonymous

Anyone have any first had experience with the Tunze Nano wave box? I'm considering adding one to my 69g reef. I'm torn between the wave box and the smaller vortex unit that is programmable.

Thanks for any comments.

A

Anonymous

The Nano Wavebox is very nice! It performs exactly as the larger Wavebox, but works in tanks 3' long and under. My only complaint is that it's rather large and a little unsightly, especially in smaller tanks.

Also, IMHO Tunze's new 7096 controller makes the Wavebox obsolete. Using the 7096 with one of Tunze's controllable streams, like the 6055, you can create a standing wave without having a big box in your tank. And with the 7096/6055 combo you have many more flow options, whereas the Wavebox can make a wave and nothing else.

A

Anonymous

Ahh the 7096 controller is what I saw Ching-Chai programming into for his 1000g tank!

However I thought the wavebox worked on the principle to physically displace water in a tank, and as a result cause a wave, where as the vortech (this 7096 method) tries to go by pushing the water in bursts (which I still have yet to figure out how to get a wave in my 180 *grumble*

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":2u2jj2hn said:
the guy at tunze has told me several times that the nano will work on my 120... its 4 ft long
And it probably would. The 3' suggestion has some flexibility, I've been told. There's some overlap in what the Nano and the full-sized Waveboxes can do.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank size depends more on the amount of rock in the tank obstructing the flow. If there is a clear shot across the tank the nano could work on a six foot tank. The same applies for the Vortech and the Tunze on the 7096.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do like the wave motion from these wave boxes, but is the "flow" they generate as effective as the GPH ratings on the vortechs or the turbelles? Do I need to not fixate on these numbers and be satisfied with the water movement of the wavemaker?

My tank is underpowered for water motion. I've always known this, but with mostly softies and a clam, it has been adequate. I'd like to significantly increase the flow to have the opportunity to have more coral variety. Right now I have just my Iwaki 40 as my return from the sump along with two Maxijet 1200 in the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mitchell":hfqjzyxx said:
I really do like the wave motion from these wave boxes, but is the "flow" they generate as effective as the GPH ratings on the vortechs or the turbelles?
It's just different flow. A standing wave will cause the water in every part of the tank to move, but it will only move back and forth a few inches. Other powerheads in the tank will then 'stir' the water around, making the wave more effective by bringing different water to different parts of the tank.

mitchell":hfqjzyxx said:
My tank is underpowered for water motion. I've always known this, but with mostly softies and a clam, it has been adequate. I'd like to significantly increase the flow to have the opportunity to have more coral variety. Right now I have just my Iwaki 40 as my return from the sump along with two Maxijet 1200 in the tank.
Waves look best, most impressive in soft-coral tanks. (In strictly SPS tanks, you need to look much closer to see the movement.) I think if you got a Wavebox, you could then focus your MJs on the upper portion of the tank. You could then place some stony corals at the top and they'd get the benefit of the higher velocity water motion while the softies at the bottom would get the benefit of the swaying wave.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As JH said you will need to have some added flow to move the detrius that the wave maker dislodges. The wave action gets the detrius out from between the rocks and the PH/returns are used to guide it to the overflows. Just remember that the PH/returns should not blow directly at the wavemaker or it will throw off the wave action.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: