JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With some advising from you all, I have been using a Kalk top off mixture and really enjoying the benefits. The problem is not with the amount of Kalk mix, as my CA level has been staying at 450ppm for a while now. The problem is that my KH level keeps dropping to the 7/8DKH level, and that is below the level I am comfortable with. On top of that, when I then add Alk buffer at the beginning of the week, my CA level then obviously drops a significant amount.
For example, I raised my KH back up to 9dkh over the weekend which brought my CA level to 430ppm. Then when I went and checked my KH yesterday, it had fallen back down to 7/8 dkh. I am making a fresh batch of KALK top off right now, and am going to try adding 0.5TSP more to the mixture and see what happens.
Any other suggestions?

AnemoneBuff was lending me a hand for a bit, but I am unsure of how testing the PH of the KALK powder, would lead me to the answer of this.
Thanks,
J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really suggest adding some Alk/reef builder to maintain your alk/pH at a 9. However, I do not think that a 7-8 dKH is so bad. If your pH is staying in an acceptable range then your Alk parameters ar ok.

Do not forget to keep your Magnesium up too.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is your pH? I dose only kalk and keep my Ca about 440+, my pH between 8.1 to 8.3, and my alk stays around 9-10. When any one of these starts to deviate too high (or low), the other numbers change with it.

7-8 dKH is actually fine by me too.

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH stays in the 8.2 - 8.4 range depending upon the time of day, in conjunction with the light cycle.
AnemaneBuff; I am using a KH Buffer, so the kalk is to only keep my levels where there are when they the proper level is achieved. I actually dripped with some KH buffer after this post last night. Today I have a KH-9dkh and a CA - 413ppm which is perfect for me. Now I am going to try using a 1/2 tsp more of Kalk top off, to see where that takes me. Also, Magnesium is something i have never tested for, but now that I am steping up my game in the reefing world, maybe i should look into this test.
Cheers,
J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JD'sReef":2a225knc said:
. Also, Magnesium is something i have never tested for, but now that I am steping up my game in the reefing world, maybe i should look into this test.
Cheers,
J.

Don't be surprised if you find magnesium very low and requiring scary amounts of magnesium to get it up. My 55g was down to 700-800ppm. I took 3-4 pounds of epsom salts to get it up to 1350ppm. Other local club members who ran tanks for years have reported similiar experiences. After that initial "shock" much smaller amounts are needed to keep magnesium up.

my .02

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I have this correct, Magnesium must be dripped weekly, in conjunction to my Kalk top off water? Can in be a month or so between tests?
I know this sounds far out, but could I just add the Mag powder to my kalk top off? I was hoping that by using the kalk as my Top Off, I was eliminating this whole weekly testing/dosing thing I have done for my CA/Alk in the past.
When the day comes for a Ca Reactor, am I going to have to dose MG as well?
Thanks,
J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not mix supplements. Mag and kalk must be done seperately. You need not drip Mag, but add as necessary. There is a Mag calculator on the Bulk Reef Supply site. Even with a Ca reactor Mag must be tested and adjusted accordingly.

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no mixing of the additives; I can handle that one. It is funny how the more you get into a hobby, the more intricate the hobby become.
J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JD'sReef":2h0i3i61 said:
So no mixing of the additives; I can handle that one. It is funny how the more you get into a hobby, the more intricate the hobby become.
J.

And that is a very good plan to follow.

From what I hear you cannot mix calcium and magnesiums with carbonates/bicarbonates because it will precipitate calcium carbonate or magnesium carbonate. Which are then not solviable. So you have to keep the concentrations low enough in the tank to prevent that.

I also understand that mixing the magnesium (with magnesium sulfate (epsom saltS)) precipitates calcium sulfate. Hence the 3 part.

But you can mix magnesium carbonate and calcium carbonate. so what I am testing is mixing the 300ml magnesium solution with 100% magnesium chloride with the calcium when I mix up the 1g mixture. At this point I don't know if that will work. Perhaps someone here can chime in.

my .02

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brendan checked my Mag down at Skiptons the other day and he said it was right on the money. #300 in change (I forget the exact reading), so I am not worried about that. I use Trpic Marin pro-reef, so I think that salt mixture helps keep all of my paramaters in check. I will do some tests today, and if I am out of wack, I will fill you all in.
Till then...
J.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: