Petsolutions

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm not sure what forum is the best one to post this question in, so I'm just going with the general discussion forum since this question is well... general. I would like to know if the readers here are a part of their local aquarium society/fish club? If so, which clubs do you belong to? I'm trying to figure out which clubs are the most active these days, and have members out and about in the community of online forums and such. I'm more interested in local clubs than the big national groups like ACA and such. Since reefs.org is where I'm the most active in reading and posting, I thought I'd check here.

So, sound off, are you a member of your local club and if so which one?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSLive":1mbua6yh said:
So, sound off, are you a member of your local club and if so which one?

Nah. I'm soured. I witnessed the Jim Stime MASLA nuclear fireball over MACNA X back in '98. I try to network with local hobbyists but ignore the clubs.

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am back w/ my local society MARSH now. They did have a melt-down at one point but have really bounced back and are doing tremendously well now.

Cheers
James

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John I'm pretty darn in touch with the national reef club scene. Feel free to PM or email me :)

I'm a member of Bay Area Reefers (BAR - www.BAReefers.com ). We're a very active club in our area and have been making headway into the national scene with such programs as 'Don't Break The Chain".

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a member of the PSAS, Puget Sound Aquarium Society in Seattle. We're not the biggest club but are growing in numbers

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cjdevito":112p0hzq said:
Nah. I'm soured.

Have had similar experiences. Heck if I want to waste time with petty squabbles, empire building and ad hominem attacks I'd just stay in the Sump ;)

Petsolutions

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gresham, I appreciate that, I will probably PM you about it.

I remember starting with clubs many years ago, but I haven't been a member in quite some time as there isn't a club very local to me. The nearest club I'm aware of is about an hour away from me in Cincinnati. I always had a really positive experience with clubs back in the day, but I wasn't sure how active they were these days.

I appreciate the responses so far, and even the input you folks who aren't involved with clubs anymore have provided. Keep the info coming for those who haven't responded yet.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoyed our local club when it started- small and informal. Just a few people who would meet each month at a different house; drink beer and look at the tank. Maybe some fragging or other random activities. Then as it grew people wanted to have formal meetings with officers, dues, educate the public, blah blah- and it got a lot less fun.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flabello Meandroid":o5hembrd said:
I really enjoyed our local club when it started- small and informal. Just a few people who would meet each month at a different house; drink beer and look at the tank. Maybe some fragging or other random activities. Then as it grew people wanted to have formal meetings with officers, dues, educate the public, blah blah- and it got a lot less fun.
I hear this from alot of our members that were active ten years ago.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: