Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
art.crab.jpg

New research suggests that crabs not only suffer pain but that they retain a memory of it.
No thanks for the memories: The scientific study applied mild electric shocks to hermit crabs to determine if they could 'feel' pain.

No thanks for the memories: The scientific study applied mild electric shocks to hermit crabs to determine if they could 'feel' pain.

The study, which was carried out by Professor Bob Elwood and Mirjam Appel from the School of Biological Sciences at Queen's University, Belfast, looked at the reactions of hermit crabs to small electric shocks. It was published in the journal "Animal Behaviour."

Professor Elwood, whose previous work showed that prawns endure pain, said his research highlighted the need to investigate the treatment of crustaceans used in food industries.

Hermit crabs have no shell of their own so inhabit other structures, usually empty mollusc shells.

In the research, wires were attached to shells to deliver the small shocks to the abdomen of some of the crabs within the shells. The only crabs to get out of their shells were those which had received shocks, indicating that the experience is unpleasant for them.

The research suggests that this response is not just a reflex, but that central neuronal processing takes place.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/03 ... index.html

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It underlines that what we have in our tanks are responsibilities as well as enjoyment.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously they can feel. If a fish picks at them they retreat into their shell. It seems they have discovered something we already know. That's just like the people who say fish do not feel pain, it may not register the exact same way as it does for us, but you can see it on the unlucky fish on the receiving end of a tang's scalpel.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for a fact that my hermit crabs have no sense of humor.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to go fishing with Locals in the caribbean and they would collect 5 gal buckets full of hermits. They would smack em down and pull them out of the shell and hook them for bait. It was gross....I am not much of a fisherman and dont eat fish. I felt bad for the hermits but then again it fed the islanders, and they would eat anything, big colorful parrotfish and all.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":1alch97g said:
I always see my hermits clung together almost boxing. What the hell is going on there?

I imagine one might be trying to nick the shell of the other, but I'm not sure.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye, or it's a love embrace.

This one's for you, Len.

Attachments

• ihasashell128559609443629075.jpg
    ihasashell128559609443629075.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 216

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: