Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm finally in the market for a chiller. With summer coming, I'm afraid I could lose my tank to heat. I really don't want to spend a thousand dollars. What is a good brand and model that I could buy that is reliable for under a G-note? I have about a total of 100 gallons to chill. I really don't know much about them. What horse power do I need? Can I get a really good one for under a grand?

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I perfer inline chillers not the chillers that have cold probes that sit in the sump. Just remember like an A/C unit, it blows hot air out of it like nuts and therefor sitting it in the stand is useless. The more remotely placed the better. Mine sits next to my tank and does fine. I use a 1/10 hp on my 58, total water volume is about 100 gallons but I also run A/C in my room where the tank is 24/7. I only need a few degree pull down in the summer so it works just fine. My first chiller was a pacific coast and broke after 1 season, I am using a JBJ now and it seems pretty solid. I have also used Aqualogic which were great chillers. Depending on the cool down you think you need a 1/5 hp should be just fine, if you only need a degree or two a 1/10 would work.

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The size of the chiller will be determined by the pull down needed, but with a 100 gallon system a 1/5 should be fine as long as the room is not to hot.

Lots of good brands, and quite a bit of junk. Aqualogic are great units.

But if you have an ATO I would suggest using fans as your primary cooling, they are much more energy effeciant than a chiller.

Kim

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: