kenske

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
One lovely friday evening, I took my boss (who is new to the hobby) to XXXXXXXxXUSA to get some tangs for his 75gal reef tank.

I noticed the following nudis in one of their tanks. Beautiful creatures. I know they are poisenous, but the rep says that they are reef safe, eats left over food and not sponges (as i read on the net). Even though I was skeptical, my impulsive/compulsive self decide to get it for my frag tank anyway.

After about a week in my tank, they look like they were shrimking, I do not think they are eating either. Then, one day after work, voila EVERYTHING in my frag tank is DEAD including bristleworms and snails. Luckily, most of my frags were moved to my display tank before the addition of the nudis.

Lesson well learned. Just wanted to share this with others so they do not make the same mistake.

Attachments

• nudibranch.jpg
    nudibranch.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 177
  • nudibranch10-800.jpg
    nudibranch10-800.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 179

kenske

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
drperetz: That was the first question I asked myself when I got home. I immediately checked temperature, salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. All is fine. I did not have much in the tank: few frags of zoas and montipora, a f.percula, some snails. Also, I notice the water was very cloudy.

drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0

to avoid killing or poisoning ur tank with nudis, get a tiger tail,or a black cucumber. They will do more good than harm and they look cool.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Nudi's

Ive Had 2 Of The Same Nudi's And Both Died In My Tank, They Live Off Of A Orange Sponge, Both Came Up Missing In My Tank { Died } With No Ill Effect To My Tank. So I Doubt That Was The Problem

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
drperetz: That was the first question I asked myself when I got home. I immediately checked temperature, salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. All is fine. I did not have much in the tank: few frags of zoas and montipora, a f.percula, some snails. Also, I notice the water was very cloudy.

The issue I believe is the amount of filtration(especially bIo filtration) you have in the tank. When something toxic or not die, the stuff they release are usually nuetralized quickly by the filtration if it is cycled properly and relatively large to the water column. Since it's a frag tank I assume you would not put much in the filtration.

Last edited:

kenske

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I forgot to mention: one of the nudis were shredded into pieces. i suspect that it got sucked up a powerhead or the HOB filter, the strainer at the end of the tubing keeps falling off. So it could have been sucked up and shredded by the filter.

Now can I blame the Nudis? :)

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
The nudi were not to blame.
You put a fragile poisonous creature in a small tank with a blender.
We all make mistakes and I've done that before. impellers and nudi's dont mix well.
At least I had a bigger tank with a skimmer to take out some of the toxins though.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
there's a difference when a nudi get shredded n when it dies. when it gets shredded, the poison is released simultanously n will be much more potent.

this is another case of "do not trust LFS info". do your own research n go with that. 99.9% of all nudis will not surrive for more than a few months in cap.

Last edited:

kenske

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
there's a difference when a nudi get shredded n when it dies. when it gets shredded, the poison is released simultanously n will be much more potent.

this is another case of "do not trust LFS info". do your own research n go with that. 99.9% of all nudis will not surrive for more than a few months in cap.

That makes a lot of sense. And as far as your advice from LFS I agree, especially where I got the Nudis. One of their guys can't even tell the difference between true percula vs false. I will definately take your advice and do my own research instead of relying on them.

On another note, I do get pretty accurate info from the guys over at H2O Aquarium. Sometimes they actually talk me out of a purchase of livestock or equipment.

drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0

I dont trust most lfs, dont know about h20, but XXXXXusa is not a good info source. they sell fish that are not suitble for any aquarium, or keep 10 naso tangs in a 50 gallon.....:(:type::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: