jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use one? I'm thinking of setting up a pan/tilt remote webcam in my fishroom, so that I can check in with my critters while I'm away and someone is tank-sitting.

Since my fishroom is out in my guesthouse, I've even considered sending the video feed to my TV so that I can watch the tank from the living room - but I don't think there are any wireless HD cams... You know, see if the ATO is working, if the skimmer cup is full, etc...

Cheers
James

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but not for watching fish, for security. Stationary cameras.

Petsolutions

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used one to monitor my tank, but I have seen some pretty creative uses of webcams.

There is a website/podcast called Hak5, and they had done some custom software programming for their webcam. They made it accessible by anyone on the internet, and people could bring up a site to get on and control their camera. they took it one step further by mounting a laser pointer to it, and mounting little nerf rockets to it. They own a cat in the house where the cam is...sooo....people could log on to their web cam, fire up the laser pointer, and play with their cat remotely. :lol:

So, long story short, surely there are some hi def cameras around that can work for your purposes. Maybe you can even just hook up a super cheap little home built computer out there and run it on a wireless network with the webcam on it.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freind of mine recently set up one to monitor his tank. He asked me to watch it while he was away and brought me a key just in case I need to take care of something. Well, I need the key. The webcam went down and the camera is not going to work until he gets home and tells his computer to reboot the program.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: