Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been buying the ceramic frag plugs from Boston aqua farm but the sticks that go through the egg crate aren't wide enough so the plugs tend to tip over with large SPS frags. I just ordered some coral cradles so we will see how they work. I also thought rios frag plugs that locked into egg crate look stable but haven't tried them.

For chalices/acans I just use disks so those are fine for me.

Has anyone tried the cradles or rio plugs? What do you use?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RIO's are nice, thick, heavy, deep pocket and didn't fit my need at the time. Not saying they are bad, just that they didn't fit my needs at the time.

I've gone through thousands of the Coral Craddles and LOVE them. I use them different then most though. I now glue a small chunk of live rock on the top and just use them to keep the plugs in place. When I "harvest" the Coral Craddle gets recycled and another LR chunk glued on.

BAF will do custom runs if you ask him. I bet he'd make you a thicker "rod".

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips. I just got my cradles in from Premium Aquatics today so I 'll see how I like them.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few pieces of rock that I didn't put in the new tank so I hit one of them with a hammer :lol: and made myself some natural lookin plugs ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":1gyg5yh1 said:
I had a few pieces of rock that I didn't put in the new tank so I hit one of them with a hammer :lol: and made myself some natural lookin plugs ;)
Me too! :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":2ik7me3a said:

Given the overwhelming amount of parasites around these days and the fat LR can harbor a bunch of them, a majority of farmers have moved on from using LR. It also doesn't exactly conform to eggcrate. It usually sits on top of a rack. Animals can push it around and into other frags resulting in death at times. Plugs allow you to avoid such issues.

For the chunks of LR I use I slice them with a tile saw to 1/8" to 1/16" thick, soak them in bleach to remove any excess organics then neutralize them bleach.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just frag off stuff for friends :D I haven't any real production setup

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: