A

Anonymous

I think I mentioned this a while ago, but I bought a 125 gallon several months ago and it is has been up and running since then. The tank came with 2 - 36" 95 watt CF fixtures. My idea is to move the upgrade at a reasonable pace and not go all out right away. I was thinking of putting the two PC fixtures over half the tank and then get a MH pendant to put over the other half. The other option would be to buy a 36" CF or T5 fixture. Any recommendations?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need a complete system or do you have a canopy for a retrofit? If you have a canopy, how tall is it?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":aymd47mf said:
Do you need a complete system or do you have a canopy for a retrofit? If you have a canopy, how tall is it?
I do not have a canopy.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Sunlight T5 pendant my friend uses. It's very well made. The Giesmann T5 pendants were very nice too, but they're a good deal more. If you need something that has legs (sits on the rim of the tank), I also liked the AquaticLife one I saw recently.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive bought two of the current T5 hoods like you linked and both had problems with in a year, ballast on the one stopped working. The bulbs they come with are junk IMO and half the fun with T5s is picking the right bulb combo for the color you like. Is the tank 36" or 48"? If its 48 Id go for a 48" fixture and hang it above the tank.

The Sunlight supply Tek lights work well as a mid priced unit and hold up well over time.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant ... SunlightT5

I use a sfiligoi and there are other higher end options but when I was using the Tek my results were the same.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing quite like a nice MH pendant set-up, in my opinion. I prefer their looks overall, although I do understand that in many situations a box over the tank is better. Still, the way the light refracts is just so much nicer. So, I think that adding MH pendants would be the way to go. You could get one pendant and put the canopy on one side, or get two pendants and center the canopy. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":359cit2w said:
There is nothing quite like a nice MH pendant set-up, in my opinion. I prefer their looks overall, although I do understand that in many situations a box over the tank is better. Still, the way the light refracts is just so much nicer. So, I think that adding MH pendants would be the way to go. You could get one pendant and put the canopy on one side, or get two pendants and center the canopy. :)
Any particular ones that you think might be good?

Len, I am not sold on halides, I am just trying to address the long run upgrade costs.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len, I am not sold on halides, I am just trying to address the long run upgrade costs.

FWIW I used halides for years and switched to T5 and have no problem with keeping anything I want, SPS do great under a good T5 fixture.

I prefer their looks overall,

Hey Marina hope you are doing well.

A lot of people love the glitter lines MH give, that never did it for me. The heat they put off was always a battle for me, someone needs cooltubes for reef tanks lol.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Dan, it's been too many years for me to make a good recommendation on that type of rig.

Doing alright Ben. Snowed in and currently on generator power. I really wish I had better snow driving skills. :roll:

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was getting MH, I'd get Galaxy or Lumatek ballasts. They drive bulbs the brightest and have no noise issues.

Just don't buy from Aquacave; they stiffed RDO/AAOLM on some advertising bills :evil: ;) Most of our sponsors have Sunlight products :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":4j8h283s said:
If I was getting MH, I'd get Galaxy or Lumatek ballasts. They drive bulbs the brightest and have no noise issues.

Just don't buy from Aquacave; they stiffed RDO/AAOLM on some advertising bills :evil: ;) Most of our sponsors have Sunlight products :)
I am going to buy from an RDO sponsor if at all possible.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":ihyw6h98 said:
No IceCaps?

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enough light for anything, anywhere in the tank, doubt it. 125 gal I would be using a 4' fixture, and atleast 6 bulbs but 8 would be better. I used a 36" 8 bulb T5 unit over my 58 gal and it could grow SPS top to bottom. If you are not keeping sps all over and mainly under the highest light area of the fixture it might do ok.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben":sp59iph7 said:
Enough light for anything, anywhere in the tank, doubt it. 125 gal I would be using a 4' fixture, and atleast 6 bulbs but 8 would be better. I used a 36" 8 bulb T5 unit over my 58 gal and it could grow SPS top to bottom. If you are not keeping sps all over and mainly under the highest light area of the fixture it might do ok.
Hmmm, so I could keep sps near the top of the tank with 4 x 39 set? I have to go 3ft because the tank is 6 ft long and I already have 2 - 95 watt fixtures.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, so I could keep sps near the top of the tank with 4 x 39 set? I have to go 3ft because the tank is 6 ft long and I already have 2 - 95 watt fixtures.

Oh I assumed you were going for an all new lighting system and not keeping anything you already had. Guess I didnt read your OP well lol. :oops:

You would be able to grow SPS in those areas directly under the T5 light no problem. But in the case you are trying to peice it together, I would think just saving the money and going for something like a 6-8 bulb 60" T5 hood to replace the whole thing at once would be the way to go. The Otherwise just use the PC's as actinics and grab a MH pendent. I always had heat issues when using MH's and was the ony reason I went T5s. The MH work just as well, so its up to you.

I use this MH pendant over my frag tank and its great, you could add one now and a second later and stager the PCs once you had both.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant ... Sunpendant

Of course once you get the ballast and bulb the cost is still high.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: