A

Anonymous

Len":3ozpyg7p said:
Yep, I bought 4 pounds for well under $10. The problem is, I don't know how much to add and there is no instructions specific to this.

I'll get you a number later in the day. PM me if I forget. :D

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Want to figure out exactly how much bleach to use then Sodium Thiosulfate after.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":8bmre346 said:
Have you thought about building a pyre in your yard and ritually cleansing the tank through fire?

Nope. But I am going to sacrifice a virgin or two.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":10z3aimz said:
The Escaped Ape":10z3aimz said:
Have you thought about building a pyre in your yard and ritually cleansing the tank through fire?

Nope. But I am going to sacrifice a virgin or two.

Ah yes, good call. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":3am1ms15 said:
Thanks. Want to figure out exactly how much bleach to use then Sodium Thiosulfate after.

Len what brand is it? Does it come in little clear crystals?

I use 2 teaspoons of solid sodium thiosulfate per 5 gallons of water to dechlorinate items that have been soaking in a bleach solution. If you are rinsing and draining and then refilling, I'd recommend 2-3 cups of dry thiosulfate for your 200g system. There really isn't any problem overdosing with thiosulfate either, but it's a fine idea to rinse it all out and get rid of it afterwards in any case.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and for bleach, just dump a gallon in. It won't take much to sterilize the system. Just make sure your steps in between get out as much water as possible--inside skimmers, reactors, etc.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_":xm7ublhe said:
Len":xm7ublhe said:

I use 2 teaspoons of solid sodium thiosulfate per 5 gallons of water to dechlorinate items that have been soaking in a bleach solution. If you are rinsing and draining and then refilling, I'd recommend 2-3 cups of dry thiosulfate for your 200g system. There really isn't any problem overdosing with thiosulfate either, but it's a fine idea to rinse it all out and get rid of it afterwards in any case.

It's "ProLine." It comes as little clear crystals. I'll definitely rinse.

As for bleach, one gallon in 200 gallons of water? That doesn't sound like it'll do anything :P I keep reading 1 part bleach to 9 parts water.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, will the sodium thiosulfate dissolve quickly or should i prepare a liquid solution first to pour in?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":1wzpkhrl said:
Matt_":1wzpkhrl said:
Len":1wzpkhrl said:

It's "ProLine." It comes as little clear crystals. I'll definitely rinse.

Same stuff we use.

As for bleach, one gallon in 200 gallons of water? That doesn't sound like it'll do anything :P I keep reading 1 part bleach to 9 parts water.

Meh, I think it'll be more than enough if left in 24 hours. But, bleach is cheap! Do more if you like!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":3esv3mip said:
BTW, will the sodium thiosulfate dissolve quickly or should i prepare a liquid solution first to pour in?

I would swirl it around in a gallon jug or pitcher or something first if you can, but probably not necessary. It should dissolve within 5 minutes or so.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it doesn't like to dissolve. Every so often I get batches that need to sit much longer in order to dissolve. Not sure if it's water chemistry or the S.T. itself.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll dissolve it in a smaller bottle first.

Just to be clear, without decholoriation, the bleach will eventually still just break down into salt water and Cl gas, right? After air drying, I shouldn't have to worry about any solids in the tank, right?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. But remember to ALWAYS use your nose, Len. If you can still smell the bleach, it's still present. Saltwater has its own smell.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":1s7zk65h said:
I'll dissolve it in a smaller bottle first.

Just to be clear, without decholoriation, the bleach will eventually still just break down into salt water and Cl gas, right? After air drying, I shouldn't have to worry about any solids in the tank, right?

Not sure about that. We use powder bleach dissolved in water sitting still in buckets to disinfect stuff. We change the water weekly, and it still smells bleachy after a week. I don't understand quite how the process works. Chlorine may have a different solubility in seawater too. I bet a chem nerd could be useful here.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've bleached sponges and even though it's completely dry has been for months it still has that slightly bleachy smell. I thought that UV was required to break down the bleach natural, so simply letting your tank sit won't work... at least from my understanding of how bleach works.

Stick it out in the sun, and it'll work... at least those that get direct sunlight :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":289zydg7 said:
Does Sodium Thiosulfate get rid of the bleach smell?
Yes, because it neutralizes its action by breaking it apart.

sfsu, in my own experience chlorine does not seem to need sunlight to break down, though it does seem to make that breakdown happen more quickly.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunlight ain't happening. The whole setup is at least 600 lbs dry, so I'm not lifting that outdoors ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: