Dewman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to figure out what is happening to my fish.
I have kept a 30 gal cube with a 15 gallon sump for a couple of years now. I let the tank go a little over a year ago because of some changes in my life. I stopped adding anything and just left it with the Single Royal Gramma in there with about 4 crabs and a fighting Conch. I just recently added a Lizard Blenny ( he is awesome) because the LFS mislabeled him as a red scooter, and had him for $8. Couldnt pass him up.
The blenny eats well, the Gramma got big, the conch got huge ( 4 nches) until I left for a trip to Chicago and now everything is gone.

Here is how it went down. Monday before I caught my plane, I saw the gramma hiding inside a small hole in the rock. Got back from trip Saturday, and the gramma was GONE. I mean just gone. No pieces, no parts, nothing. I have had this guy for SO LONG. Like 4 or more years I think.
Anyway, Everyone else was fine in the tank , until today.
Came home to find the Blenny laying on the floor of the tank, gutted, with a huge black hermit eating his guts out. Conch, pulled out of his shell, laying on the floor of the tank and half eaten.

Now, I know that hermits usually take advantage of easy food, but this was just too strange. 3 animals dead in 3 days.
Has anyone had any problems with sleeping fish and hermits?
The hermits are getting very aggressive and have pulled a couple of smaller hermits out of their shells.

So, anyone want to take a stab at this one?
BTW, tank parameters have been WELL within lower end of DOC limits for over a year.
All othe parameters, 8.25 ph, 79* temp, no nitrates/trites etc. So I know it's not new stresses.

I have no other predators in the tank.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits can and do predate on anything it can catch, including sleeping fish. Small hermits usually do little harm, but bigger hermits can eat fish, snails, other crabs, and even corals. There may be another explanation for your losses, but if you have a large hermit, I would definitely think that is the most likely cause. I personally don't trust hermits (and most crabs, including sally light foots) big and small.

Sorry to hear about your losses :(

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: