Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which are you guys feeding?

I'm a little irritated that people think PE has 70% protein whereas Hikari only has 10% (and 80% water). The former is dry weight analysis. I'd like to see a comparable analysis (e.g. dry weight v. dry weight).

I hear PE is coming out with smaller FW mysis in 2010. I'm excited (well, my fish are :P).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also like to see products either in liters/gallons, ounces or grams/kg's. The conversions can be mind boggling at times.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuri told me they were doing smaller mysis too--apparently it's one of their bigger requests.

I use both about equally. The PE is great because it's whole, but some of my fish are too small to eat whole mysis that size. The Hikari also seems to be less oily and fatty. I sure would love to see a nutritional breakdown as well.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see if someone can do an analysis for AAOLM :)

PE is a bit too big for most of my fish, and it's definitely a lot more oily. PE shuts down my skimmer every feeding whereas Hikari does not (and both are thoroughly rinsed). Right now, I'm mostly feeding Hikari mysis and spirulina brine shrimp, but I'll gladly revisit PE when they come out with smaller mysis.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On several occasions I've opened new Hikari Mysis cubes to find them already rancid/rotten. I know I can't necessarily blame Hikari for this as it could have thawed at any point after leaving the factory. Nevertheless, I've been using PE ever since.

To get around the large size problem, I just use a knife to shave some off while it's still frozen. Shaving it chops it up pretty well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":3hqh2i6y said:
Which are you guys feeding?

I'm a little irritated that people think PE has 70% protein whereas Hikari only has 10% (and 80% water). The former is dry weight analysis. I'd like to see a comparable analysis (e.g. dry weight v. dry weight).

I hear PE is coming out with smaller FW mysis in 2010. I'm excited (well, my fish are :P).

All PE are freshwater mysis :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":3g10p781 said:
Ya, but i hear Hikari is SW. I know PE says FW is better, but I'm not convinced :P

Eh? I never knew they claimed that. From Rob Toonen's AAOLM article way back when the nutritional profile of FW and SW crustaceans was pretty similar, but who knows. It seems pretty clear that the PE have way more fat/oil in them. That may not necessarily be a good thing, long term. I certainly wouldn't want to feed any fish a diet of solely PE mysis (or any food, for that matter) for any significant amount of time. Fish can get obese too!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":3nhuqt3j said:
Ya, but i hear Hikari is SW. I know PE says FW is better, but I'm not convinced :P

Sure but I was only pointing out all PE are FW. PE harvests their own, I doubt Hikari does that ;) Hikari's probably are SW.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_":3q291nts said:
Len":3q291nts said:

Eh? I never knew they claimed that. From Rob Toonen's AAOLM article way back when the nutritional profile of FW and SW crustaceans was pretty similar, but who knows. It seems pretty clear that the PE have way more fat/oil in them. That may not necessarily be a good thing, long term. I certainly wouldn't want to feed any fish a diet of solely PE mysis (or any food, for that matter) for any significant amount of time. Fish can get obese too!

I don't think they say it's higher in nutritional profile, but they do say:
FRESHWATER MYSIS (Mysis relicta)
This eliminates the possibility of parasite or disease transfer to marine fish.
SODIUM FREE
As fish don't need to eliminate excess salt, it's easier on their systems. Most other brands offer a coastal, or marine cousin of Mysis relicta.

I'm not convinced either is true. I'd love to see an analysis on these foods.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":24vunga0 said:
SODIUM FREE
As fish don't need to eliminate excess salt, it's easier on their systems. Most other brands offer a coastal, or marine cousin of Mysis relicta.

I'm with you. For one, freezing is going to kill any parasites regardless of what water it's from. I also don't buy that Mysis relicta is sodium FREE. Even if it's an osmoconformer, it's got to have SOME salt content in its' cells! I love the product, but don't dig some of the sneaky marketing. I guess that's part of the game when you're in competition.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":2aifycgv said:
Matt_":2aifycgv said:
Len":2aifycgv said:

SODIUM FREE

Email me about this Len. I've actually been talking to some about this :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: