kevindub

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to plumb some things tomorrow. How long do I have to wait before I can add water to the system?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 hours is usually sufficient. It's been HELLA days since I've glued up PVC, so I'm not even really sure you have to wait that long. But for an aquarium I would.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive started things 15 min after I glued, and it was always fine. Although I think Marina is corrrect that 24 hours is recommened, and certainly any pressurized situation is going to need more time. Of course my plumbing always leaks :oops:

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen my LFS glue stuff up and use it right away. But I wouldn't recommend it. I find it gets rock hard after half an hour, but I'd wait a few hours at least. 24 hours is definitely safe, but I don't think it's necessary if you're pressed for time.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nose is pretty good at telling the time, but if you don't want reproductive issue later in your life, use the 24 hours suggestion. But, yeah, don't hold your breath during the entire 24 hr. time.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15-30 minutes. I've done it on tanks containing corals and fish. If it makes you feel better to wait a day, have at it, but it's not necessary.

I should point out that I do my best to minimize the amount of cement that gets inside the joints, rather than getting all sloppy with it. Put your cement on the outside of the pipe back a 1/4" or so. Ideally only a drop or two should come in contact with the water. If you're gluing up a bunch of joints, start with stuff that doesn't need to be connected to the tank. Let them cure for 15 minutes and then rinse them out in a sink or tub or whatever. Then make the final "point of no return" glued joints the last ones. This way you've already rinsed off the majority of your glued joints before they even go near your tank. Hope this makes sense.

If you're super paranoid, you can do nearly anything with threaded and teflon taped fittings that you can with slip glued ones, and there's no VOCs involved.

HTH...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to get all sloppy with it, but that's just how I roll. :lol:
Ben":31uxnx0s said:
Ive started things 15 min after I glued, and it was always fine. Although I think Marina is corrrect that 24 hours is recommened, and certainly any pressurized situation is going to need more time. Of course my plumbing always leaks :oops:
Hey, mine's been leakin' lately, too. Especially when I sneeze or cough. Do your Kegel's! :D

pyrrhus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From back of Oatey clear low-VOC pvc cement. "15 minutes for good handling strength and 2 hours above 60 degrees before pressure testing. Longer cure times may be required at temperatures below 60 degrees"

And from what I recall the IPS PVC glues (at least the clear) are 45 minutes to fully cured.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: