A

Anonymous

I bought some live rock at the not-so-local fish store, and by the time I had it home, it had an aroma, so I set it outside in a 10 gallon tank with circulation. There is no more ammonia, but the nitrites are still very high (too high to get an accurate reading, but way in the red zone).

So this is about 5 or 6 rocks weighing in under 20 lbs total, and it is headed for an established 100 gallon (+/-) tank.

Can I just pop the rocks in, reasoning that no new ammonia means no more decay, or should I wait until all the nitrite that accumulated in the 10 gallon tank is metabolized?

I know what most people would say, but the question I have is this: Once there is no more decay taking place, does the rock present a hazard to the occupants of an established tank if I now put it in? Presumably it won't be releasing nitrite but not ammonia, so I am assuming that this is just the characteristic lag phase one sees when cycling a tank (First ammonia peaks, then nitrite peaks as ammonia disappears, and eventually nitrate appears as the nitrite is metabolized away). Since adding completely sterilized rocks should neither help nor harm an aquarium, would I be doing anything worse at this point if I simply drained the old water off while lifting the rock and placing it in the main aquarium?

A

Anonymous

If your old tank is well established with older live rock you'll probably be fine.

However no new ammonia certainly doesn't mean no new decay, it simply means the ammonia consuming bacteria (technical term?? :D) are able to keep up with the ammonia that's being produced during the decaying process.

That being said as long as you don't see material flopping off the rocks it should be fine, hell if you have hermit crabs in your tank 10:1 they'll be all over it like stink on sh...

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safer to wait, but I've dumped uncured (not even store cured) live rock into established tanks without problems. I would recommend scrubbing off as much of the life (especially dead stuff) as possible, including all sponges.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, just did. If everything dies it is all your fault (and maybe because it was 98F outside and the water was hot to the touch.)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 chromis
1 maroon
2 little blue tangs
1 algae blennie
1 satanic damsel fish
1 flame angel
various inverts, corals

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be worried what the upcoming nutrient spike might do to any sensitive corals. I'd also probably have a lot of water on hand to do some water changes.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bill, if you'd like we can send someone out to convert that damsel for ya. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is fine so far.

I have yet to see the damn damnsel do anything wrong, which is why it is still alive.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: