Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always paranoid scrapping coralline around my glass tank's corners. Any tips? Or should I not be too worried? FWIW: My tank (Aquarium Obsessed) has a good deal of excess silicone (I don't know what what to call this ... just silicone that extends beyond the glass, forming a thing layer). I'm always paranoid when I scrape this a bit; it's hard to avoid removing some of the silicone.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you're that worried and the tank is still in a nice empty state, that's to say you can attack it from any angle with worry of getting your whole arm wet :D Simply bring the blade perpendicular to the surface of the glass (like you're dicing something on it's surface) and scrape away from the silicone. If the tank is full, simply scrape in the direction the silicone is laid and not towards it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hold the blade with three fingers on top and my thumb on bottom. Offset your blade so it's far enough away from the silicone, and use your ring finger as a guide. Hold tight and slide your finger down the silicone, and the blade cuts as close as you want. If you do it in one pass, the line left by the blade is nice and straight.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not mess with it. I am always afraid that I will slice too much off and come home to my tank being split. If the tank is empty you can vinegar the crap out of it until it disolves.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven":1eza90ox said:
ANEMONEBUFF":1eza90ox said:
I do not mess with it. I am always afraid that I will slice too much off and come home to my tank being split. If the tank is empty you can vinegar the crap out of it until it disolves.

Neither do I, paranoia strikes deep.

DangIt Seven! Now I have that song stuck in my head :x

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Kinda became a non-issue after I bleached the tank. The stuff just flaked right off. But I'll need to scrap again down the line, so I'll take the advice here.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: