meathelmet2

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading about planting mangrove trees in sumps to filter out nitrates and phosphates. I am interested in this subject, has anyone out there done this? and how well does it work?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't get mangrooves to grow in my system. I'm not sure what the deal is: could have been the hot lights baking them. I'd only try a mangroove if I had a big, separate refugium to grow a tree from. These plants get pretty big if you manage to keep them alive ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves grow in the hot, tropical sun. Perhaps it was light that was the problem moreso than the heat. I mean, have you spent much time in a mangrove? It's pretty hot.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meathelmet2":38z9bik1 said:
I have been reading about planting mangrove trees in sumps to filter out nitrates and phosphates. I am interested in this subject, has anyone out there done this? and how well does it work?

I looked into that in depth a few years ago, and they aren't all that efficient at nutrient export according to the experts. Here's a really good article on nutrient export mangrove vs. macro algae from Advanced Aquarist's Magazine. That's a great place to look for information, put together by the folks that run this board ;)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/3/ ... m=mangrove

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: