A

Anonymous

What would you do to make this tank interesting to look at and enjoy?

tank1.jpg

A

Anonymous

Two things. Clean the glass and buy more coral!

Seriously though, I always used to find my tank less fun when all I could think when I looked at it was that I needed to scrape the coralline off the glass. Yours is really not that bad at all, but you'll find it amazing how much difference cleaning that little bit off makes. Also accept that the cyano will go with some flow (is that why the maxijet is hanging in the middle?).

Also having a variety of different types of coral will give you different lines and shapes, making the tank more interesting to look at. I'd avoid buying lots of very small frags alone. It might be worth buying one or two larger frags/small colonies as well, to give the eye more interest.

Maybe also another fish or a small, unusual addition like a few sexy shrimp?

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a big W/C vacuum all the sand and before that take all the rock out and shake it underwater or blast it with a powerhead to get the detritus out of it. I would change the aquascape also. The cave is nice but in a smaller tank, its a big cave with no real area for corals. Maybe even just take that top rock off the cave and use it vertically to hide that korallia. When I did the big w/c and took the rocks out I would clean the glass and back as well real good. Vacuum the whole thing and reset the rocks. Id move that blasto up to the rocks to. Also I would add some new fish as Tom was suggesting. Even a common lawnmower blenny would be fun to watch in there.

God luck!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the aquascape can be changed but some of the corals are now glued to the LR and the zoas have spread. Just break them off and cover them up?

The cyano is siphoned out weekly (was until 2 weeks ago when I gave up on that).

The lighting limits me to low light corals and I have not seen any colorful corals that are low light corals.

The powerhead is there to try and get flow in the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMhhhhO It's only a 29 so I'd to a full tank tear down. Pull the sand, replace it. Get some more quality rock and re-aquascape. Before I did that, I'd frag off any corals you wanted to keep onto plugs or rock rubble so I could rearrange what I had.

How low is low light? What's the fixture? Some colorful low light corals off the top of my head: Euphillias, acans (somewhat low anyway, put them higher in the tank), mushrooms, fiji leathers.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is 7+ months old. All LR was cured LR from the LFS and then I cycled the tank for 2 months before adding anything.

36W 10K PC
36W Actinic PC

If I tear it all down I will dump it for maybe something else if I can find a way to do it cheap. But that is highly doubtful.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMhhhhO It's only a 29 so I'd to a full tank tear down. Pull the sand, replace it.

I like that idea even better then vacuuming it all. I think if you blast the LR good to get all the build up out it will be fine. Zoas are always nice and bright and Tracys other coral suggestions like acans would be nice. My acans and chalices dont like too much light. I know there not a sponsor here but elitereefs.com is a nice spot for cheap zoas, they only charge 10$ per frag and 21$ for fedex overnight shipping. I have used them a lot for my sons tank and always liked what I got, and it was cheap! If you dont want to snap off the corals you might be able to shift stuff around and give it a nice fresh look even with them in place.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some zoas already and the centers are OK but the body is brown. They looked great under the suppliers tank - MH and T5's but not that good under the PC's. I do have an Incredible Hulk Acan in there that has lost most of its color. That is the coral just below the powerhead. Even the mushroom (I forget the real name) type coral on the bottom was bright orange but is turning brown under the lights I have.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the aquascaping. You just need to do some WCs and add some GFO to get rid of the cyano. I would also look for a bluer bulb to replace the 10K bulb. Also get that powerhead out of the middle of the shot. :wink:

After you get that cyano under control look for some low light colorful corals like cynaria or acans. The shrimp suggestion was a good one as well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing weekly water changes and it did not look any better as it has the past 3 weeks without them.

The Acan I have is not looking too good. So I cant see spending more money on them (expensive) to have them loose their color.

The powerhead will move once the cyano leaves.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You using R/O water for your changes? Any chance the membranes are bad?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was testing the RO/DI output at 0 TDS. I just switched the membrane last night just in case as well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could something be leaching PO4 into the water?

If you are not feeding heavy, then you have something adding the nutrients. My answer would be to try the GFO and try to find what is adding the PO4.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase the flow and keep up the vaccuming until it clears.

Move the PH form the center of the tank to a back corner

Wait for stuff to grow in.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much more flow? 5 maxijet 1200's? Everthing appears to be moving in the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size Koralia and Maxijet do you have in there at the moment? I'd throw another Koralia in there maybe.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Korilla 1 and a minijet 660.

I thought about the Vortech MP10 but dont want to throw money at a loosing cause.

Upgrading the lights and the Vortech is ~$400.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple more Koralia, or one more, but a more powerful model, would set you back far less. Plus you'd get much better flow than the minijet is providing...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: