Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some time around Thanksgiving, I posted here asking for advice on getting a new protein skimmer because I had discovered that Euro-reef had discontinued mine a while ago and was having difficulty finding replacement parts. We did find out how to order replacement parts through Euro-Reef and placed an order for two impellers (totaling 120$ with shipping). When the parts didn't arrive in two weeks, we called Euro-Reef and were told these impellers were on back order but that they would get them in before Christmas and we would receive our new impellers by the first of the year.

I was annoyed at having to do daily water changes until the impellers showed up, but... whatever... still cheaper than buying a new skimmer.

So... we waited.

The impellers still have not arrived. I have now decided to buy a new skimmer and that I am done doing business with Euro-Reef. 2 months is a ridiculous amount of time to wait for parts.

When my husband called them this morning to request that they refund our money... their phone was being answered by a machine that used the name of another business that promptly hung up on him. I'm not sure that it's possible for us to get our money back now. We're filing a complaint against them with the BBB in Cali. So... I'm moving on and NEED to pick up a new skimmer ASAP.

I need an in sump unit, preferably not an external because I just don't have the current system set up for that and would like to be able to get something set up relatively quickly. I was considering the Tunze, but I've heard they're also a nightmare to get parts from if something breaks. So I was looking at the Precision Marine redline skimmers available on Marine Depot and wondered if that would be a good fit. It's SHORTER than the skimmer I have now and is rated for 150g... but since I'm looking at just upgrading the system... would it make more sense to get the larger (and taller) skimmer, rated for 175 gallons?

Thanks much!

J.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya!

Sorry to hear about your problems :( If you paid by credit card, I would definitely contact your CC provider first to file a dispute. If it's paypal, then unfortunately it's exceeded the time to open a dispute. I think Euro-Reef may be going out of business, as I've heard similar reports lately. You might also contact the Laguna Beach police department and see if there is any procedures to file a complaint with a local business. I don't know what else you can do.

As for a skimmer replacement, I'm very close to buying a Vertex Alpha cone skimmer. These are supremely well built, and the main attraction for me is they are totally silent. Their customer support is very good too. ATB skimmers also have world-class customer support ... I'm guessing support is very important to you now ;) Warner Marine's K-2 is a respected skimmer as well. All these are more expensive then the PM Redline, but they're bigger skimmers and have high quality proven pumps.

leftovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua-Medic...they arent going anywhere and are quiet efficient and can be configured for in or out of sump operation... i love my Tk5 Baby

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":24vn7clm said:
Heya!

Sorry to hear about your problems :( If you paid by credit card, I would definitely contact your CC provider first to file a dispute. If it's paypal, then unfortunately it's exceeded the time to open a dispute. I think Euro-Reef may be going out of business, as I've heard similar reports lately. You might also contact the Laguna Beach police department and see if there is any procedures to file a complaint with a local business. I don't know what else you can do.

As for a skimmer replacement, I'm very close to buying a Vertex Alpha cone skimmer. These are supremely well built, and the main attraction for me is they are totally silent. Their customer support is very good too. ATB skimmers also have world-class customer support ... I'm guessing support is very important to you now ;) Warner Marine's K-2 is a respected skimmer as well. All these are more expensive then the PM Redline, but they're bigger skimmers and have high quality proven pumps.

Thanks Len. I've looked at the cone skimmers and the jury is still out for me on those, but yeah.. support is huge for me these days. This is why I ditched my HP laptop and bought a Mac :)

leftovers":24vn7clm said:
Aqua-Medic...they arent going anywhere and are quiet efficient and can be configured for in or out of sump operation... i love my Tk5 Baby

You know, that is a really cheesy brand name. I'm never sure if I should trust their products or not because of their brand name. :lol:

I'll definitely give it a look though. You guys have never pointed me in the WRONG direction. Maybe... more expensive ones, but not WRONG ones. :mrgreen:

Thanks much! I'll let you know what hubby and I decide.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of reefers I know have had great success with the SWC skimmers. They use universal pumps that can be bought from alot of suppliers in case of unwaranteed future pump failure.

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the guys that was a co-owner of Euro Reef has picked up our order and is making good on it for us through his new company. We'll have our new impellers come Friday. I'll post again when the impellers arrive.

I'm still in the market for a new skimmer though.

Diana

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly try to contact a retailer that used to carry EuroReef, and maybe they still have some impellers kicking around? Ocean Aquatics up here in Canada, as far as I know, I still selling EuroReef stuff. I know this doesn't help you get your money back or anything, but at least you could still use the skimmer? http://oceanaquatics.com/store/

I've been happy with our Deltec skimmers but they are on the expensive side for what they are. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: