JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was informed before, aptashia in the overflow can be the reason for new aptashia growing in the display. That stated, help me figure out what to do in this situation.
In my overflow there is a fair few aptashia that need to be eradicated. To dificult to individually kill one at a time.
1. How long would I have to leave the water off in the display tank in order to dry out all the aptashia in the overflow. I would keep the power heads on (so the tank would still be receiving some flow), but I am wondering how long until an aptashia will dry out and die.
2. Rather then that, I could just fill the overflow with some type of liquid (Say lemon juice) and kill all of the aptashia that way. I can perform this task in such a way that no water will enter back into the tank, so i am not worried about that. It is just that I am wondering what liquid can use in a large amount to eradicate these pests.
Thanks All,
J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a diluted (10-20%) vinegar solution would kill them within a few hours, just be careful not too much drains into your sump.

bfessler

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like JohnHenry's Idea. I would dilute the vinegar in fresh water, not salt water, and I think those guys will be goners.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd first turn off the pumps, then block off the overflow output, and simply dump something in there to kill the suckers :D Vinegar might work, probably could mix up a kalkwasser solution right in the overflow as well if it's not too large (my overflow has a 5g capacity *sigh*). Just be sure to empty that out of the tank and not into it :D

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect,
This was exactly what I was looking for. The vinegar idea is perfect and this will probably be the avenue I take. Len, I would have done the Peppermint idea, but seeing that I have a Dwarf Lion in the tank, I was not going to test his/her fate. However, can the little shrimp live in the overflow for all of eternity? This may be the better situation for the future. Right now though I need to deal with this situation.
Thanks,
J.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A shrimp will probably live forever in an overflow. There's gotta be plenty of food that flow down there.

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Len, I figure that after I signed off from this site. I went to pick some shrimp up earlier this evening, but the shop was out. I am liking this idea much better now. Not only will it solve the current problem, but it will also help future outbreaks.
J.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: