meathelmet2

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for my float valve to come in the mail for my new RO/DI unit. If I put a float valve on my RO line, will this shut off my waste line as well? If not do they make an in-line ball valve for the entire unit that I can shut off?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meathelmet2":18s9zg9n said:
I am waiting for my float valve to come in the mail for my new RO/DI unit. If I put a float valve on my RO line, will this shut off my waste line as well?
Usually it doesn't. It depends on whether or not your unit has an Auto Shut-off installed. They look like this:
AUTOSHUTOFFVALVE.jpg

meathelmet2":18s9zg9n said:
If not do they make an in-line ball valve for the entire unit that I can shut off?
They do. They look like this and can be found at most hardware stores:
SOVgroup.gif

You'd probably want the non-threaded one in the back left of the photo.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always go a bit high tech and use a solenoid valve in conjunction with the float switch (valve?) and place that on the incoming water side of things, that way the water shuts off before it gets in the system, if there's any sort of metallic parts in the solenoid no big deal because tap water isn't half as aggressive at breaking down metals, and you don't have to worry about constantly producing waste water, which unfortunately for me my unit does (and it does have something similar to what John Henry has shown)

meathelmet2

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JohnHenry":d8iqefrw said:
meathelmet2":d8iqefrw said:
I am waiting for my float valve to come in the mail for my new RO/DI unit. If I put a float valve on my RO line, will this shut off my waste line as well?
Usually it doesn't. It depends on whether or not your unit has an Auto Shut-off installed. They look like this:
AUTOSHUTOFFVALVE.jpg

meathelmet2":d8iqefrw said:
If not do they make an in-line ball valve for the entire unit that I can shut off?
They do. They look like this and can be found at most hardware stores:
SOVgroup.gif

You'd probably want the non-threaded one in the back left of the photo.

According to your picture it looks like I do have an auto shut off valve. My valve came in today so I guess I'll just try it tonight when I get home.

meathelmet2

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WRASSER":21j2a0xp said:
how long do you run the RO unit, til it is ready for making water for you to use?
I have only used it once so far, I filled a 5 gal bucket dumped it, then started using the water for the tank. After the first time how long should I wait?

WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know you have to saturate the charcole and rinse, but i dont know how long it takes. i just hooked up mine too and i am "flushing" it now. i dont know if its 5 gal. or running it an hour. :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gal is about right. Basically, you want to wash off the preservatives and other stablizers on the membrance so that they don't end up in the tank (or your body). FWIW, I usually bleed off the water a little when I change the charcoal. You don't want the charcoal dust to get into the membrane housing if you can help it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: