WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have seen these skimmers in sump, are they hard to plum externally? my kent finally failed and i am looking for an replacement. ty

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends upon which "octopus" skimmer, many of them are designed specifically to ONLY run in the tank, especially those with the Sicce pumps as they'll very easily overheat outside of the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the Sicce pump

Just taking a look at one of the online stores

the "Super Reef Octopus XP 2000" has an external version, although that's $150 more than the in sump version

Some of the recirculating octopus skimmers you most likely can plumb externally, again depending upon what pump ships with it.

The Extreme line all are in sump skimmers though because those Sicce pumps get quite hot and need the water to cool them.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't say if they are a good skimmer from experience, however it is a good pump, I have them on my ATi bubblemaster, and they certainly make a good frothy foam. I have read online from quite a few people who went to the Octopus Extreme (as opposed to something like a BM) and they certainly are pleased with what they have, and the fact they're quite a bit cheaper than the BM there's that to look at.

WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the advice, because the sump is narrow, i can get an acrylic sump and attach it so i can use the octopus.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I know they have the reduced footprint models (the *160? Or something) where they stick the pump under the skimmer, so that might work out if space is tight.

WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is 220gal. i found this octopus used and a good deal. i dont have a skimmer and was thinkin it is gonna help. if the addition dosent cost much more.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a skimmer is definitely better than no skimmer, how useful it will be will depend upon your bioload and what model it is (there are literally a ton of different Octopus skimmers)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: