WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i dont have enough room in my sump to add a protein-skimmer, so i need to add another sump/bulkheads. I have an idea bout this but im not sure. Im thinkig two 1" lines, below the water line, like 5" up from bottom of sump. also to put the main pump in the sump with the protein-skmmer. any suggestions are wanted and helpful to put me on the right track. ty

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this a lot. I would oversize the bulkheads connecting the sumps as large as possible. Like 2 inch or 1.5 inch. If one gets blocked, you want the other to be able to handle the flow. I would also put elbows on the inside of the first sump so you can put a stand pipe to control the water level - not necessary, but it can be convenient.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I've done this before, mostly because I was cheap and didn't want to spring for a bigger sump, so I simply made a tiered sump system where one had the skimmer, the other hand the rest of the sump junk. In reality this is no different than an external refugium.

WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats kinda what i have, a refugium/ sump. so i was thinking of puttin the tank pump in with the skimmer. that way it *im thinkin* pulls a little slower through the refugium. how far apart should the two sumps be? 2", 10" what would be good distance? ty

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it matters how far they're apart (either horizontally or vertically) just be careful about your pipe sizing, if your overflow is 1" and coming out the bottom of the tank (i.e. the hole is vertically aligned) and your 2nd sump has a hole drilled in the side it will not pull water at same rate at all and you might get a flood.

WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok sooo you are saying that the holes from sump to sump need to be the same size or larger than the lines going back to the tank? or did i miss what you said?

WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, BIG success on the sump to sump. everything is tight and not leaking. thanks for all the insight.;) *thumbs up*

Attachments

• DSCF1973.JPG
    DSCF1973.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 221

WRASSER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, the new sump is 20 x 20x 12. so, i dropped one return line in the new sump and i have the other return going threw the refugium. which turned out great, it slowed the flow down by half ( of course) which helps me with the refugium. soooo we will see. ty

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: