meathelmet2

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have enough RO/DI water to do a 100% water change in case of an emergency stored in 5 gal buckets. I am using another bucket to do water top offs daily. this bucket gets refilled daily from the RO/DI unit. The question is, should I be rotating the stored water to keep it fresh? or does it not matter.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep it covered and then ensure it's well-aerated for about a day or so before using, storing it is fine. If it starts showing algal growth then you can dose lightly with chlorine bleach, just like we do for storing earthquake water.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its not too much trouble I would simply swap buckets, what you might find is you do get a bacterial film that form in the other buckets very easily, doubly so because all the chlorine/chlromines have been pulled out. I doubt this will cause any issues, but what can it hurt.

bfessler

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my RO/DI water in a large rubbermaid trash can, the kind that you can attach wheels to the bottom. The RO/DI Water simply fills the can and is shut of with a float valve. I have a powerhead in the bottom connected to some 1/2" tubing to pump out water when needed. I drilled a hole in the top side of the Trash Can to pass the tubing through then attached a ball valve to it so I can turn the flow on and off when the power head is on. This makes it easy to fill my ATO resivoirs and assures that the water is always being replaced.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my ro/di water in my basement in a 55 gallon bucket. Also, next to it I have a 40 gallon bucket that pumps the top off water up to the main tank in the livingroom by means of a dosing pump. Anyway, the water sits there for sometime. I drop a couple of Lugols solution (iodine) drops into the buckets and cover them. I feel that is keeps them free from unwanted bacterias, ect...

Also, you could put a small water pump in there to keep the water circulating.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: