• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

dupaboy1992":wqvvpiop said:
Right. It was just verbal agreement, with "$xx.xx in livestock credit" on a receipt, and similar entry on the POS database.

But did he explain the conditions at the time of the transaction?

A

Anonymous

It was more than a year ago, but as far as I remember, the only condition is that it has to be livestock, and not on dry goods. The person is no longer working there, and I would be surprised if he remember the specific circumstance when the credit was issue unless it is a routine procedure.

A

Anonymous

Take your business elsewhere... so... I agree with everyone above me... I think.

A

Anonymous

dupaboy1992":1g76i3xm said:
It was more than a year ago, but as far as I remember, the only condition is that it has to be livestock, and not on dry goods. The person is no longer working there, and I would be surprised if he remember the specific circumstance when the credit was issue unless it is a routine procedure.

If there are no terms in writing then there are no terms. The law is on your side on this one. You can't have ambiguous terms, they have to be spelled out. Every store I have worked out spelled them out clearly and if there ever was a point of contention, 9/10 times we took the hit ourselves.

A

Anonymous

I may be a sucker and come back to the store, but I the reason for me to post this is to find out if being upset about this is normal, or just that I am a cheapskate.... or both.

A

Anonymous

It's normal. I used to let stuff like that slide but L convinced me it would make me feel better to speak my mind - it did. I also think people deserve a realty check once in a while - if people don't offers criticisms how are service people to know they are pissing people off.

A

Anonymous

budhaboy":27xjdz98 said:
browncj7":27xjdz98 said:
Store credit = cash

I wonder if it is even legal to put restrictions on store credit?
perfectly legal- there was a big outrage when store gift cards became all the rage- many of them have a time limit in which full credit is available, after the time limit, an interest rate is deducted from the available balance.

Also, with the Movie theater gift cards, you can only use them to purchase tickets- they cannot be used to purchase popcorn or other refreshments...
Certain states allow that, NY made that illegal. They also made expiration dates illegal. In NY a gift card is considered cash and the remaining balance can be deducted from the card or taken in cash.

A

Anonymous

dupaboy1992":3qqm9955 said:
Right. It was just verbal agreement, with "$xx.xx in livestock credit" on a receipt, and similar entry on the POS database.

What did that database ever do to you?

A

Anonymous

:lol: point of sale (POS). It is a common business term referring to the various computer equip. used in the retail industry.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically the store owner is just dumb in this case. Store credit as mentioned on here is same as cash so if he applies your $100 to an item on sale he isn't losing anything because another customer would have just used their $100 equally. As far as I know the U.C.C. doesn't say anything about store credit and his giving you a store credit was probably an oral agreement. Being a "mom and pop" store the owner probably has a case by case policy on store credit rather than some place like Walmart which has a book on store policy. I would just try to explain to him/her that they arent losing anything by applying your store credit to a sale item as (same as cash) doesn't affect the cost recovery of a sales item because its....well....same as cash. Like the others on here have stated, don't give them your business if they are taking advantage of you. The biggest way to get your point across to an owner is keeping your dollars in your wallet.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A store credit just assures that X amount will be spent in the store. X amount spent is X amount no matter if it is cash or a receipt the manager/emp signed stating the amount of your credit. Hell it is almost the same as an interest free loan to the store from the customer...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2006":31nhysxe said:
Store credit can't be used for on sale items IME.
It was not stated when the credit was given. Otherwise, I would not have taken it. The only restriction is that it must not be a dry-good purchase, at least that's my side of the story.

See my first post on this thread. If you have a $10 store credit that can only used on non-sale item, will you use the store credit to buy a $100 item at regular price, or you will take the 20% off every item in the store deal instead?

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dupa, the point is "same as cash" means it is just as if the owner had given you $100 cash. You could spend the cash on whatever he wanted if it were cash. The benefit here is its like the owner being able to put restrictions on those coming into the store. How would you like going into a store and the owner telling you that you can only buy full priced things; no sale items. The owner basically had your balls in his hands pardon the french, because he could place any restriction he wanted since he wasn't issuing cash.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way its good to inform yourself on the UCC when buying things as expensive as our hobby entails. Depending on how you got the store credit you may have been able to get off better. I.E. if they sell you a nonconforming product a lot of store owners like to act like they will only give store credit in return or that all sales are final when in fact that is not legally binding. They have the right to "cure" meaning to give you a new one or fix the old one. If they cant cure you can revoke the contract and get your money back (if you have a good lawyer friend that wont charge you a huge fee). Im not sure if the UCC applies to livestock. Id have to research that one. If the owner is on good terms with the supplier they may get credit for dead livestock so the owner should have no problem giving you a new animal. The problem Ive found around here though is most of our local reef stores are run by people who have no idea how to run a business and financed their hobby via a mortgage on their house. So we get new stores and lose some all the time.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I need to get a lawyer involved here, since the sum involved is small. I just not going there as often anymore due to the bad service. Before, I used to went out of my way to go there even I have closer store around here. It was one of the first "internet stores" 13 yrs ago when I started the hobby, and I enjoyed their old way of doing business.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... if it's where I'm thinking of, hasn't it changed owners twice since those days?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved, and opened a couple branch store in OC. I think the only one still exist now is the one I just been to, and is operated by a relative of the original owner.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_Andy":1y4r4xvt said:
Hell it is almost the same as an interest free loan to the store from the customer...
That pretty much is EXACTLY what it is...

I have $50 left on credit (from a $150 gift certificate which was a stocking stuffer from a few years ago) @ my favorite shop & I'll probably never use it unless I'm desperate for something.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: