fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want to do bigger water changes, i have been doing 20 gallons on my 100 gallon tank and i want to do 40 gallon now. what kind of container do you use to mix your water? are big plastic trash cans ok?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the garbage cans, specifically the more robust ones not the cheapy ones as those can definitely crack over time due to the flexing.

You could always try and find a spare acrylic tank or something too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I'd got through an entire large Instant Ocean bucket, I started using that. Then added another, and another as I used them up.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a big rubbermaid 45g trash can. If the container has NSF stamped somewhere on it, it's pretty much guaranteed safe for mixing water because it indicates these are food-safe containers. Rubbermaid trash cans (maybe surprisingly) are food safe.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":226lohdh said:
I use a big rubbermaid 45g trash can. If the container has NSF stamped somewhere on it, it's pretty much guaranteed safe for mixing water because it indicates these are food-safe containers. Rubbermaid trash cans (maybe surprisingly) are food safe.
+1 This is what I use. Makes it very easy. You can use a water pump to mix and fill the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use plastic trash cans, the big ones. Line them with garbage bags (untreated with anything, no anti-anything) as they're chemically inert.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two of these, one for saltwater and one for RODI top-off:
rubbermaid_2655.jpg

32 gallons each, and pretty cheap at the hardware store.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the 20 gal totes with the rope handles. Usually it was just one for the weekly 20 gal water change. I had four so I could do larger water changes if I needed to.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 This is what I use. Makes it very easy. You can use a water pump to mix and fill the tank.

I use the 45 gal rubbermaid brute trashcans and got the lock on wheels to help me move the old water away.

Ummfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful with the rubbermaids. There's a report floating around that a batch of them is putting off toxins.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: