A

Anonymous

OK…next question. Where is everybody these days on additives? Back in the day I was using Combisan as an all purpose additive with two part B-ionic(sp?), but as I was forced out of the hobby Combisan was going through some scrutiny. Searching the archive the last comments on Combisan are from 2003. What are the feelings on Combisan these days? Are people still using all purpose formulas or are they dosing individual components?

Gregory

AZDesertRat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really is no reason for additives and supplements other than calcium, alkalinity and magnesium in a heavily stocked SPS/LPS tank where it is consumed.
Additives and supplements can get you in a bunch of trouble when added without the required testing regimen, too many folks add things just because the LFS or a buddy said it worked miracles for them. Every situation and tank is different and most don't need anything but periodic water changes with a good salt mix. If you do decide to use supplements and additives make sure you have a test kiy for every ingredient and use the kit on a regular basis to knwo for sure the element is needed by something and is in fact depletec from its normal level. never add without first testing to establish a baseline and dosage rate.
I personally don't add anything to any of my systems and I have corals and a sebae anemone that have been with me since 1990 and fish that have lived 13+ years, I don't see the need.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes perfect sense. Less is more and add only if needed. This is certainly not what the LFS was professing back then.

Thanks

Gregory

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use bulkreefsupplys 2 part, which has 3 parts really in CA, ALK, and Mg. I add coral vitilizer and sponge power from Zeo still since I have them around. I also dose a few drops of iodine once a week, although I have heard more than enough iodine is added with frozen food feedings. Otherwise I believe my W/C's take care of the rest.

AZDesertRat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine and iodide are the most misused and potentially bad additive there is. I don't know why people stil use it when there are dozens of very good scientific based articles showing its not what you think it is.
I use it as a dip on new corals and thats it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As one of the resident chemists, I am a minimalist in this regard. Large, frequent water changes are by far the single most important thing (I am saying this as someone who despises doing water changes). Never add anything unless you can measure it accurately enough to show that you have a deficiency.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose kalkwasser daily, Strontium, iodine and trace elements fortnightly and do monthly 20% water changes with NSW. I have noticed my corals taking a positive turn when they have been subjected to the additives. I have however never dosed magnesium.

The kalk is for corals and coraline growth.
the strontium is to replace the losses through agressive skimming, as is the trace
The iodine is because I have a large population of hermits and shrimps and they need the iodine faster than WCs can replenish it. I have anecdotaly stopped dosing it for a 3 month period in the past and the effects were very visible. (Nothing scientific about any of this, it just works well for my specific setup)

Petsolutions

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Marcos on the frequent water changes, and I don't think anyone could possibly be a fan of doing water changes. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSLive":3r9ftlv6 said:
I agree with Marcos on the frequent water changes, and I don't think anyone could possibly be a fan of doing water changes. :lol:

Yeah....somehow I didn't think that we'd be beyond that small detail yet.

Thanks everyone!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: