A

Anonymous

I just got some 20,000 K metal halides.

They are rather blue, even without supplementation from my actinic compact fluorescents. I wonder if I need to get compact fluorescents now that are 6500K.

Plancked again.

A

Anonymous

its all a preference, you'll be lucky to find two 20K bulbs that are the same from different manufacturers, you could get some 10000k bulbs as supplemental lighting.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider 14K then, but not all 20K are the same, and not all burn the same on different ballasts. Radiums will burn a lot more white, for example, when on HQI or certain electronic ballasts.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 10,000K before, and thought they were a bit too yellow.

Since I just blew my life savings on light bulbs, I think I will just try to get used to it. The 10,000K appeared quite a bit brighter, presumably because they were more yellowish.

AZDesertRat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I still had MH I found XM 15k to be the perfect balance. 20k was too blue and not bright enough, 10k was too yellow and 12k was inconsistent. I tried AB, XM, Ushio, Reeflux and Coralife all.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of fixture do you have? My DE Radiums (150w only for DE) burn pretty white for 20Ks, but were a big improvement in my eyes over the Megachrome 10Ks I had before.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never understand why people argue with a CRI >90 of Iwasakis. They look exactly like shallow reef water.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ushio 14KK+... I'm telling you you'll love the bulb :)

As would you Chris. Don't let the "14KK" fool you.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, have you considered returning the bulbs?

I like 10,000K or 14,000K bulbs for the most part, and then can add blue LED strips as needed if I want it bluer. The only 20K bulb I use is on a "deep" tank.

tinctorus

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there is a company "the name slips my mind right now" but they make a 22k bulb that looks similar to a 14-18K bulb since it is NO where near as blue as a 20K bulb...I know that sounds strange but that is what I have been reading

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/250-watt-HQI-22000K-Metal-Halide-Double-Ended-Bulb-22K/18546863

This second bulb is actually the one I was talking about, From what I have read from the people that have used it they REALLY like the bulb ESPECIALLY after a 2 week burn in time

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/giesemann-de-250w-blue-22k

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_":17c9x2n0 said:
Bill, have you considered returning the bulbs?

I like 10,000K or 14,000K bulbs for the most part, and then can add blue LED strips as needed if I want it bluer. The only 20K bulb I use is on a "deep" tank.

It seems like too much an effort. I'm kind of getting used to it now, and the lights hurt my eyes less.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my fluorescents died after 3 months (grr), so I put in a 6700 K compact fluorescent in the front of the tank, and now it looks beautiful. I realize this is "backwards" compared to how it is usually done, but it looks fine and beats replacing a light bulb that works.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: