Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have been out of the hobby since 2006 and with COVID keeping me home, I started to get the itch again. I was looking around and noticed that the prices of coral looked to have skyrocketed. Even tiny LPS are selling for hundreds of dollars per frag. Am I looking in the wrong places? Is it a COVID thing with supply chain issues?

I had a packed 72 gallon tank on a college salary back in the day and it would seem to cost a fortune to get something like that going again.

full-shot-a7070e77fcde497222855ff552a52137.jpg

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
plenty of people offer frag packs, which can average costs down to $5, $10 or $15 per piece. The fancier ones are in the $20 to 30 range. look on the "for sale trade" sub forum. Retailers also have frag tanks, with prices starting at the ~$15 if you get the multiple pack discount. Lets see, the closets retailer for you would be Manhattan Aquariums on 39 st/ 10 Ave in Manhattan, or in you come to Queens, there are a few other retailers in Flushing.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Coral prices did skyrocket but being able to grow them into a tank such as what you had will easily pay itself back in the future.

Most arent here for making money but a way to get some money to get MORE of things of what you want.

Equipment is a lot more expensive than 2006 as well.

More things to buy to keep those $$ corals happy.

It's an addiction. GL and welcome back.

grisha

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Thank you. I was hoping that I was just looking in the wrong place. Do you know of any reputable LFS in Brooklyn you can recommend?
Max, glad to see you back.
I’ll give you comparison:
Remember back in the day prime watermelon chalice was $100-200 frag. Looks like this days same coral is half the price.
newer rainbow chalices unseen years ago about $200 bucks if you ask around including online vendors
Acans stay the same in my opinion
Micro amak lost favor and cheaper than before except amazing holy grail micro or even more rare pieces. Still 200 for 2-3 polyps
mushrooms are off the hook- I don’t even pay attention
Same for torches lol-don’t have those in my tank
Zoa, depends, i was shocked to see polyps selling for 2-300
Sps as usual, some super cheap, some off the hook.
Great place in Brooklyn -Pops corals and empire reef moved to ave u and soon to be reopened

bonomo53

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Right now LFS are only able to get corals and fish from very few countries due to the virus. The prices for shipping corals into the country has also increased significantly due to airlines charging more to make up for reduction of people currently flying.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: