D-Roms

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 30 gal reef tank started a slow leak yesterday. Going to get a new tank this morning. I could use some advice on getting the corals (LPS and SPS) and fish ( blennies and gobies) from the leaker to the new tank. Thanks for the help.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
If you havent already, make fresh batch of water a.s.a.p, clean sand before putting that in there if you plan to reuse. Detrius from sand I believe is the biggest killer.

I just did a tank upgrade and decided using new sand with just a few cups of clean sand from the same tank water to keep bacteria alive best bet. Rock work should have some good bacteria and as much undisturbed old tank water should cover a good amount.

I wasnt in a rush so I was able to let new tank sit for a week before I transferred. Still had a nice size bacteria bloom that took 4~ days to clear. Now sitting nice and clean.

0 coral loss, 0 fish deaths.

My .02

If you have to suggest buying a container for awhile do slow transfer, any quick shocks you do will likely kill something.

But if tank had a bad leak. No choice but to do what you have to.

I would do biospira or something in that manner if you decided to everything very quickly.

D-Roms

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be a fun day. The tank is losing a gallon every 24 hours. The new tank is going where the old tank is now. Have a batch of empty fish buckets and new water is made. Will Caribsea live sand help in the transfer? What should I do with the old sand? Thanks for help.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
You can reuse old sand if you want but clean it thoroughly. Use left over water if you can to remove aa much detrius as possible. I wouldnt trust it until it's running close to clear.

Did you try putting a quick fix underwater sealant or even flexitape to stop it for now? Not sure if it adheres to glass but buy you time.

I dont trust bagged live sand to cycle and keep bacteria alive and "help" make cycles any quicker. Someone may have a different answer.

Again, this is what I would do based on my own experiences.

Tried and true is slow and steady. Unless an emergency then it becomes do what you have to.

Where is it leaking from? Bottom of tank?

If the leak is happening at the bottom, I'd probably move water and fish into a single container with rock, no sand. Now you have time to setup new tank, move old and clean sand if you want to reuse it.

Forgot if you plan to move new tank into same spot. If you do then you have to move into another container during setup anyway. Try to filter good undisturbed sand tank water into a holding container.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Get yourself a rubbermaid or plastic storage bin or two. Move over your liverock and livestock to the bins along with a powerhead in each.

You then can rinse out your live sand in the remaining water in the tank and put it in a bucket with freshly made salt water. I always try to use half existing sand and half fresh.

Once you get your new tank put the sand in and fill halfway with new water. Get rock work in and fill the rest with water from the bins. After everything has settled and water has run through filter sock for a few hours move the livestock back.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
from all my experience if the tank is the same size just re-use everything.. i have never ran into an issue. You do want to put your livestock in a rubber tote, with heater and powerhead while you break down the one tank and set up new... You can use the old sand, washed as mentioned about and some new sand if you'd like.

Take your time with setup, and don't rush.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
from all my experience if the tank is the same size just re-use everything.. i have never ran into an issue. You do want to put your livestock in a rubber tote, with heater and powerhead while you break down the one tank and set up new... You can use the old sand, washed as mentioned about and some new sand if you'd like.

Take your time with setup, and don't rush.

You don’t have to change the sand, but it is the biggest source of phosphates and other nutrients when disturbed and changing some of it and carefully rinsing the rest will help prevent any algae or cyano issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
You don’t have to change the sand, but it is the biggest source of phosphates and other nutrients when disturbed and changing some of it and carefully rinsing the rest will help prevent any algae or cyano issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not disagreeing, but ive been in situation where ive been in a bind and just emptied tank and filled up new and never had cyano outbreak or algae issues

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: